Shop Made Targets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKinds

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been tossing back the idea to start building steel targets for folk that want something for there own property but lack the equipment to make them. Something that I create in my shop will hold up to yrs of abuse unlike the cheap one from BPS and Cabelas. Just trying to determine if others are looking for something like this.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone wants some range steel. The only problem is the price. Widener's has got great prices on AR500, but they make no mounts or stands. Most mfgs of steel targets have really high prices, and shipping costs are HUGE for all that weight. You'd have to sell IPSC full-size for around $175 each at a minimum thickness of 3/8" just to be competitive, plus offer some way to mount it on a stand for shooting.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
use at least AR500 grade steel or don't waste your time. if you don't, all you will get is complaints.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out thetargetman on ebay. Low priced ar500 plates unpainted. He uses a cnc plasma torch with a water table to control heat along the cut and reduce the amounnt of steel softened by the heat. Kind of pricey setup but there is a lot you can make with the equipment besides targets.

If you can use a lot of metal you will get better prices from the suppliers.

I bought three round plates from him and he told me what equipment he uses. I am planning on making a target frame that is portable. Something that sets up quick and can be moved easy. I am going to hang the plates on chains.

JKinds

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. What originally brought this idea up was for my personal range at home, I currently have tables set up at various distance, (100,280, 330 and 450yds), but my target was a frame I built for a 4'x8' plywood board. Which is great for when you don't hit the target, you can adjust from the hole, but bad for spotting misses. I thought if I could design some type of steel target, it would greatly help me determine hits\misses. Anyways I figured I wasn't the only one wanting a heavy-duty target.

DILtron3000

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be interested and also know a great vendor in Norman that makes some really awesome targets. Using a CNC plasma cutting table, he can cut any metal up to 10' x 25'.

The cool thing is that it can be any 2 dimensional design that you want. He will make a CAD model and the torch cuts it exactly. Very good detail and much more affordable than anything else I have seen. Just let me know if you are interested.

Or look up DeLnero manufacturing on the web. He doesn't have examples online but will work with you for a custom target just the way you want it. Very cool stuff!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom