1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Short-Barrel Ammo in your Short-Barrel Pistol?

Discussion in 'Self Defense and Handgun Carry' started by druryj, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Commander Keen

Commander Keen Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I've been looking for .45ACP short barrel rounds for a long time with no luck.

2. davek

davek Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Speer Gold Dot SB in my 9mm Walther PPS M1

3. druryj

druryj Super Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    It would be interesting to see a comparison between say...Regular Gold Dot 124 and Short Barrel Gold Dot 124 out of the same short barreled gun. I really wonder if there would be any significant difference? Right now, I can buy a box of 50 Regular Gold Dots for $29.95 at SGAmmo.com and a box of 20 of the Short Barreled Gold Dot is priced at $18.95. If there is any significant difference out of our test gun, is that difference worth the increased cost for the short barrel ammo? I mean, if you put your shots on the target in the right place, is it gonna matter? Or is short-barrel ammo more of a marketing thing to make us feel like we are giving ourselves an edge?

I just don't know.

Now, if the price per pound was the same, then why not go with something designed for a short-barrel? But if it turns out there's not enough difference in them to warrant the added cost, why bother?

4. druryj

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    :

@Commander Keen, As of right now, 9:42 PM, SGAmmo.com has 230 gr Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .45ACP in stock.

5. druryj

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Jwryan84 likes this.
  6. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You've definitely got me thinking about this since I carry a k6s 357 and my wife carries an airweight 38spl+p. Off to YouTube it looks like.

druryj likes this.
  7. davek

davek Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    When I shot both the SB Gold Dot and regular Gold Dot 124 gr 9mm out of my PPS my opinion was the the SB had less muzzle flash. This was at an indoor range with relatively low light. Just an opinion though, no objective measurements.

druryj and O4L like this.
  8. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Don't know about 9mm or other loads, but the Speer GD .38 Special +P 135 grain short barrel load is a totally different animal than their 125 grain +P "regular" load. Aside from bullet weight the 135 is specifically designed for expansion at lower velocity.

druryj and O4L like this.
  9. druryj

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I am guessing it’s mostly a matter of bullet design here; considering that you get a trade off between penetration and expansion. I’m pretty sure Speer factored that in, and if they say that it is a good load for a snub, I’d be more than fine with carrying it. My expectations out of a 1 7/8” barrel aren’t much, compared to a 4 or 5” barrel, but then the old snub nose .38 Special’s actually been getting the job done for decades. Myself, I kinda like wad cutters as a defensive round for snubbies. The heavier the better too. But alas, at the moment, I am wadcutterless, so I’ve got Hornady Critical Defense in my J Frame now, and I think that’s okay too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowcatcher likes this.
  10. druryj

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    If you find something, please share cause you know it’s true if it’s on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowcatcher likes this.