Short-Barrel Ammo in your Short-Barrel Pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you find something, please share cause you know it’s true if it’s on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So far I haven't worked real hard at it but I did find a video Yankee Marshal did where he ran some ammo over a chronograph. He was trying to explain why he carries 357 in his Chiappa over 38+p. He admitted that for some years he thought the 38+p was a better round but with the heft of the Rhino to soak up felt recoil and the increase of muzzle velocity with the 357 compared to 38+p that his carry choice is Hornady critical defense 357.

In his data he also included comparisons to 9mm and longer barrels.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am guessing it’s mostly a matter of bullet design here; considering that you get a trade off between penetration and expansion. I’m pretty sure Speer factored that in, and if they say that it is a good load for a snub, I’d be more than fine with carrying it. My expectations out of a 1 7/8” barrel aren’t much, compared to a 4 or 5” barrel, but then the old snub nose .38 Special’s actually been getting the job done for decades. Myself, I kinda like wad cutters as a defensive round for snubbies. The heavier the better too. But alas, at the moment, I am wadcutterless, so I’ve got Hornady Critical Defense in my J Frame now, and I think that’s okay too.

The thing about HBWC loads are they are much, much easier to shoot. And I hear it told that they work well if you put them in the boiler room. Jim Cirillo is reported to have used them.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So far I haven't worked real hard at it but I did find a video Yankee Marshal did where he ran some ammo over a chronograph. He was trying to explain why he carries 357 in his Chiappa over 38+p. He admitted that for some years he thought the 38+p was a better round but with the heft of the Rhino to soak up felt recoil and the increase of muzzle velocity with the 357 compared to 38+p that his carry choice is Hornady critical defense 357.

In his data he also included comparisons to 9mm and longer barrels.

Wait a minute, you actually found Yankee Marshal talking about a type of ammo instead of running something down!! I am amazed !!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They will poke a hole, but unlike FMJ, those edges cut rather than merely push aside. And they really are much easier in the recoil dept as well. Faster to put 3-5 in the “boiler room”, as you say. I like a heavy wad cutter in my snubbies. Or a 158 semi-wad will be okay too.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you find something, please share cause you know it’s true if it’s on YouTube.
You know, just because something’s on YouTube doesn’t make it bad information. Ya hear me? Sure, 98% of all gun videos on YouTube are by people who wouldn’t know the difference between .45 ACP and .45 Colt if they had two cartridges sitting right in front of them. But if you’re looking in the right places, there’s plenty of good info.

You always seem to be trashing YouTube when it comes up and I can’t tell if it’s just a friendly caution of all the bad advice on there or if you really don’t like it. :scratch:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, just because something’s on YouTube doesn’t make it bad information. Ya hear me? Sure, 98% of all gun videos on YouTube are by people who wouldn’t know the difference between .45 ACP and .45 Colt if they had two cartridges sitting right in front of them. But if you’re looking in the right places, there’s plenty of good info.

You always seem to be trashing YouTube when it comes up and I can’t tell if it’s just a friendly caution of all the bad advice on there or if you really don’t like it. :scratch:

It’s neither. It’s like saying “well, if you read it on the Internet, it has to be true”. I actually find YouTube to be extremely helpful. There’s a ton of info available, and on about any subject one is interested in.

Trashing? No. Heavy sarcasm? Yep. Sorry you read it the way you did. Here's an example of a YouTube video I particularly like to refer to on the effects of recoil...

Last edited:

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s neither. It’s like saying “well, if you read it on the Internet, it has to be true”. I actually find YouTube to be extremely helpful. There’s a ton of info available, and on about any subject one is interested in.

Trashing? No. Heavy sarcasm? Yep. Sorry you read it the way you did. Here's an example of a YouTube video I particularly like to refer to on the effects of recoil...

Gotcha. No need to apologize. I brought it up partly because I recall sharing something on YouTube that I thought was pretty good advice and you seemed to brush it aside because it was on YouTube. I figured your actual opinion of YouTube had to be more reasonable than how I understood what you were saying.

My two-year-old laughs at that video every time.