Short Barrel Shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if you stamp it/ register it with your current addy and then move within the same state? Do you have to do any paperwork for the ATF?

You just send them a form updating your address and they make the change in the registry.

You can use the same 5320.20 form that you use for interstate transportation or you can just send them a letter listing your items, serial numbers and old/new address. I did this when I moved from Lawton to Duncan. You will receive a letter back (after a long time) thanking you for keeping the registry accurate. One more thing, it is not required that you notify them of an in-state move, but I would rather err on the side of cautiousness and do so.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you mark up your gun read chapter six of the NFA handbook. If you are not a licensed manufacturer you may not have to engrave your gun as it is an existing receiver. "CAR-AR-M16" will dissagree but you should study this yourself. http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/

You are right, I do disagree with you and so will the vast majority of people who have been around NFA for a while.

Now please stop searching for my posts and trying to bad mouth everything I say. You are being very childish.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you mark up your gun read chapter six of the NFA handbook. If you are not a licensed manufacturer you may not have to engrave your gun as it is an existing receiver. "CAR-AR-M16" will dissagree but you should study this yourself. http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/

I disagree with your understanding. It doesn't say manufacturer, it says manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm. Filing a form 1 or application to MAKE and register a firearm makes you the maker and you are required to place your makers mark on the frame, receiver, or barrel. Filing a form 1 on an existing title 1 receiver means you will make a title 2 firearm from that receiver.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Before you come into a forum and post nonsense about NFA requirements, you might want to establish your bona-fides and list your items of proof. These requirements have been in effect for quite some time and are generally understood. Trying to misguide someone on such an important topic is not cool. Post the name of your "close friend who has been dealing with NFA weapons for years" if you're so confident he's right. Does he run an FFL/SOT business? Is he incorporated?

If you can't back up what you're saying, which is in direct conflict with the knowledgeable, well established members, then you need to stop posting your so-called "information". :(

marksmandcs

Marksman
Reaction score
I feel that directing people to the NFA handbook WAS "backing up what i'm saying". I'm not quoting the law, i'm quoting the handbook. My "friend" who i will NOT name, worked at the BATFE Dallas feild division until 1996. He could definitely be wrong but he told me the handbook is about as accurate as it gets and directs me to it for any questions i have. It could have changed, the ATF could have changed, or both. I'm just putting it out there becuase people should read it for themselves. I'm just in it for a good debate but dustin and hump are calling names. Good forum guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom