Short Barrel Shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a screenshoot of what an examiner sees when they pull up the NFA Registry (appropriate info redacted). Down at the bottom it shows the serial number and manufacturer of the weapon. If YOU filed a Form 1 to make your title 1 Remington 870 into a title 2 SBS than YOUR name will appear here. Remington did not make the SBS, YOU did. Sure you list Remingtons info on the Form 1 as the original maker of the title 1 weapon because their info is on the gun, but your info as the maker of the title 2 weapon needs to be on there as well. It is as simple as that. ATF did put the engraving info in the handbook, but they put it under chapter 7 which is manufacturing info and causes a lot of folks to think that only licensed manufacturers must engrave. This is one of the errors in the handbook and why you must always follow the LAW, not a handbook. Simple as that.

www.hunt101.com_data_500_NFA_Registry_screenshot.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The BATFE is almost as bad about passing on bad information as the IRS when it comes to compliance with the laws & regulations. Neither of them will accept responsibility for YOUR failure to adhere to the proscribed requirements either.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The BATFE is almost as bad about passing on bad information as the IRS when it comes to compliance with the laws & regulations. Neither of them will accept responsibility for YOUR failure to adhere to the proscribed requirements either.

Truer words have never been spoken. ATF contradicts themselves all of the time.

marksmandcs

Marksman
Reaction score
The handbook is not better than the law. But, even "plain written law" at times takes the U.S. Supreme Court to fiqure out what it means. Therfore, I would rather depend on a legal academics' interpretation than my own. In the case of the NFA handbook, it is the ATF themselves who did the interpretation of their own law and made a handbook to help us understand the law. Now i don't see why i'm getting a hard time from people about that reasoning. To answer your question about my quote, if you read through chapter six if gives specific instructions on what you are to do as a non-licensee making a NFA weapon. Then, if you are required to put your info on the gun, it directs you to chapter 7.4 for engraving requirements. Who knows, maybe its written wrong on purpose. The letter from the ATF thats claimed you do not need to mark the gun with your own name was contradicting to the follow up letter stating that you do. This shows that the law can be interpreted both was by even the ATF. Yes, marking the gun is the safer way to go, but i still think maybe anti-gun Houchens is giving us a runaround.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The handbook is not better than the law. But, even "plain written law" at times takes the U.S. Supreme Court to fiqure out what it means. Therfore, I would rather depend on a legal academics' interpretation than my own. In the case of the NFA handbook, it is the ATF themselves who did the interpretation of their own law and made a handbook to help us understand the law. Now i don't see why i'm getting a hard time from people about that reasoning. To answer your question about my quote, if you read through chapter six if gives specific instructions on what you are to do as a non-licensee making a NFA weapon. Then, if you are required to put your info on the gun, it directs you to chapter 7.4 for engraving requirements. Who knows, maybe its written wrong on purpose. The letter from the ATF thats claimed you do not need to mark the gun with your own name was contradicting to the follow up letter stating that you do. This shows that the law can be interpreted both was by even the ATF. Yes, marking the gun is the safer way to go, but i still think maybe anti-gun Houchens is giving us a runaround.

Yes, and even the Supreme Court cannot agree on what the law means half the time (look at all of the 5-4 decisions).

Like I said earlier, this has been debated ad nauseum on the internet for years and the vast majority (and the law) states you must engrave. If you choose not too, that is your decision. What folks take an exception too is when you jump into all of these posts with your interpretation and basically say the rest of us are FOS and you do not need to "mark up your gun". Even if we are all wrong, is it not better to err on the side of caution when dealing with an agency that changes their rules/regulations/opinions at every turn?

I think this horse has been beat to death. Everyone have a great day.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still an a$$ hat. Stop arguing, agree to disagree, but more importantly, since your out numbered on how the LAW reads, stop posting bad info for others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom