Shorten AR barrel & Form 1 & 4's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just do what i did, take a saws all to the barrel then tap it for the flash suppresser, i didnt have to so any paper work.

Just so everyone is clear. If you need you muzzle device to get to legal length then it must me permanently attached per per the regs. not just screwed onto a threaded barrel.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No legal length is required on a SBR, are we still talking NFA?

Look at the post I quoted. He said "do what I did ........... I didn't have to do any paperwork". To me he is implying that he is getting around paying a tax because his flash suppressor puts him over 16.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think he was trying to make sure GlockedandLoaded didn't spread any information that could cause someone some serious problems. If your barrel is short enough that it requires a muzzle device of some kind to be at least 16" long, then that device has to be permanently attached to the barrel or you will find yourself in some problems. You cannot just take a saws-all, cut the barrel, install a muzzle device, and be less than 16" without a stamp.

If you have an approved form, you can do what you want with your barrel. If you want to cut and rethread your own barrel after getting your form approved back, you can do that but just make sure you get those threads concentric to the bore.

You do not have to do any paperwork to have someone else cut down a barrel. Just make sure you have your approved form back before you attach the upper with a barrel less than 16" to your lower (which has been SBR-ed).

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually to be 100% legal, you don't want to even be in possession of a barrel less than 16" long for any period of time when you don't own a SBR-ed lower receiver, but you own non-SBR-ed lower receivers. It doesn't matter if it's actually attached to your lower or not, if you own a short barrel, no SBRed lowers, and a nonSBRed lower, you have constructive possession of an illegal weapon. I mean that period of time may only be 10 minutes, but still, if an ATF agent sits outside waiting for you...

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually to be 100% legal, you don't want to even be in possession of a barrel less than 16" long for any period of time when you don't own a SBR-ed lower receiver, but you own non-SBR-ed lower receivers. It doesn't matter if it's actually attached to your lower or not, if you own a short barrel, no SBRed lowers, and a nonSBRed lower, you have constructive possession of an illegal weapon. I mean that period of time may only be 10 minutes, but still, if an ATF agent sits outside waiting for you...

What you said is correct, but if you have an ATF agent sitting outside waiting for you, then you are already suspected of some serious wrongdoing.

GlockedandLoaded

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
so to be clear if i bought a complete upper say in 10.5 and i already own a 16 " AR just possession of the lets say "pistol upper" that can be considered constructive possession?

Latest posts

Top Bottom