Shot Placement on Actual Shooting Victims

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something I've noticed over the years is that the majority of the shooting victims I come across (I'm in healthcare) have low shot placement. In otherwards, diaphragm and below. I have no idea if this is just because those that have higher placement don't make it to the trauma bay, or if it's something else. I see a huge amount of intra abdominal organ lacerations and femur/pelvis fractures, but heart and lung not as much. Now don't get me wrong I still see some and I have some strong memories of one case that the pulmonary artery was squirting on the floor, every time I bagged the patient (open chest). That one was almost funny in that the doctor kept asking me if I was sure we were in the trachea and not the esophagus, when I was watching the lungs inflate on an open chest. He was concerned we weren't getting a pulse ox reading, when the patient's blood volume was on the floor. No blood, no pulse ox. Anyway so my question on this is, have you seen any studies or reports on shot placement of trauma victims? I'm wondering if this is just happenstance or if during the stress of a shooting (good or bad guy) accuracy goes out the window? Maybe people shoot from the hip cowboy style? What say you?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the natural tendency is "low left" for right handed shooters. Also, I had a friend witness a gunfight between two groups of "teens" - from his semi truck cab. He thought it comical because they all "whipped the pistol" like the cowboys in old, old movies. His comment at the time was "no wonder these "teens" survive so many shootings, they're hitting each other in the legs".

That's just one anecdote, but given that these folks likely don't have any training or even education on how to properly shoot a pistol, it makes sense.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting observation.. as a variation to our weekly practice we put old tee shirts over our standard IDPA silhouette targets and almost everyone shot center but low of the zero zone. Not a scientific test at all so I Don’t know if it is because of the shirts making the shape different or just a bad day for most of our regular crew.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Come to think about it I have seen mainly lower extremities and left arm. But have also seen the perfect shot through both lungs and the heart like a deer.

Some truth to this, they go straight to the ME
One of the options I was considering, although you would be amazed at how many people come through the door getting compressions. As long as you are doing them they aren't dead yet and it's not on your watch.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the options I was considering, although you would be amazed at how many people come through the door getting compressions. As long as you are doing them they aren't dead yet and it's not on your watch.
Little off subject but I had an electrician get electrocuted on one of my construction projects When I found him he was as stiff as a board, it was at least another 10 minutes before fire and ambulance showed up. They started compressions as soon as they got unloaded and did so for at least 15 minutes before they loaded him in ambulance and were still doing compressions as they drove out the drive. I told them he was dead but they wouldn't believe me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom