Shot Placement When Hog Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This one was quartering away from me when I hit him behind the shoulder with a Sierra 55-grain BlitzKing. He ran about 100 yards before expiring.

20180707_163005.jpg

Mike D

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We love the neck shot, eye to point of shoulder,drop before they can get a squeal out. Breaks their neck. Low shoulder works good if you DONT use soft bullet. Bullet placement is crucial for wild hogs, way more than bullet caliber. I've recovered what looks like a huge black powder bullet, a 30 caliber bullet and I believe it's a 223 bullet from 3 separate hogs all living with projectiles in their flesh.

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We love the neck shot, eye to point of shoulder,drop before they can get a squeal out. Breaks their neck. Low shoulder works good if you DONT use soft bullet. Bullet placement is crucial for wild hogs, way more than bullet caliber. I've recovered what looks like a huge black powder bullet, a 30 caliber bullet and I believe it's a 223 bullet from 3 separate hogs all living with projectiles in their flesh.
That's pretty funny stuff. Thanks for the laughs.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With decent ammo, do you guys think 223 is OK for hogs? The guy in the video, in another video, seems to say it would be ok, but not ideal. I always thought it was considered too small, but what say yall?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Handy information.

Great video! It was one of the first ones I watched when getting into hunting hog.

With decent ammo, do you guys think 223 is OK for hogs? The guy in the video, in another video, seems to say it would be ok, but not ideal. I always thought it was considered too small, but what say yall?

I also say it’s ok, but not ideal. I personally don’t want to have to take headshots on large game, so it’s a no go for me. I prefer 30 cal stuff, like my 308s and my 762x39 stuff. Last hog I killed I hit her through both lungs with a super fancy.308 175gr federal terminal ascent bullet at 120 or so yards. Left an exit wound the size of my the bottom of a beer can, and she still ran 75 yards. Luckily it was in the middle of a field so finding her wasn’t bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom