Shot Placement When Hog Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like this? The one on the left is of 3 getting hit all at the same time!

Attachments

• 19226.jpeg
    19226.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 18088.jpeg
    18088.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 86

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Adding to shot placement, I'd like to mention that a good bullet and cartridge can give you a bit of "wiggle room" if you happen to be off a couple inches.

I prefer the center neck shot, especially if I'm about to engage a large boar or a sounder of hogs. Unfortunately, my aim has been a little less than stellar on a few of my last hunts. However, the cartridge/bullet combo I'm using has killed every hog ive hit with an opening blast...even if I've missed the spine by nearly two inches (my very last hunt where I slid in a cow pile as I pulled the trigger not included).

This is where bringing enough gun is important. I've killed some huge boars lights out DRT with a .223, but placement and bullet construction are much more critical. You'll also lose more hit runners with a lighter caliber.

Todd's video is old...but the information is still spot on.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunted with a couple other guys in February. By the end of the month they were believers in my choice of shot placement. They rarely saw 1 shot drops until they quit going for the traditional vitals on a hog that was standing broadside.

Yeah, traditional hunting placement that takes out the lungs usually results in 50 - 200 yard runs.

Many people don't realize how low and forward the heart is on a hog.

The only time I'll purposely take a shot like your hunting buddies is when I'm testing a new bullet, and I've got a lot room before they reach cover.

Latest posts

Top Bottom