shot up some 22 ammo "old stuff"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy had a tractor to work on and I went to his place and fixed it and shot some old .22 ammo from the 1980's.
It had been around and some was in a dixie cup in the cabinet.
I found that the old stuff gets tarnished and will not chamber, or the brass is greenish now and will not chamber.

The stuff that did chamber shot just fine.

Keep your .22 ammo clean and dry and keep all dirt and dust and oils off of it if you want reliability.
It sucked clearing the jams every few rounds.

I also found my 22LR magazines and guns will chamber the 22 short just fine and it cycles them just fine.
A big plus, that is if you have .22 shorts you need to use.

Yea I know calling stuff from the 1980's old.. maybe older would have been better.

Maybe I could have cleaned all the rounds with 0000 steel wool before using them.
That would be a good project to do while sitting in front of the TV.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've found that .22's are particularly susceptible to becoming inaccurate after being exposed to hot temps. Even a short exposure, like a ride to the range in a hot car trunk, degrades it noticeably. Keep your .22's cool and enjoy the accuracy longer. During hot months I transport mine inside the vehicle in a cooler with a cold pack.

Latest posts

Top Bottom