Shotgun Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManBearPig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have any of you all had any experience with #4 shot for home defense? Ammoman has a 12G product called "Winchester Drylok". my eye sight is not as good as it used to be. I know most people use 00 but maybe a larger pattern might work better.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your planning on using it in your house for HD, at the range you will be shooting 00 buck and #4 shot will have the same pattern. Similar to a rifle or pistol.

At hallway distances of 20' or less your pattern will be about 2-3" in diameter. Either will be devastating, but if the invader has heavy winter clothing on, the 00buck will have more penetration.
Garret has an interesting thread with pics about this very thing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought Winchester Drylok were steel waterfowl loads?

It is. I have a box at the house. Makes no difference in the pattern at close range.

Always been a fan of a pistol or SBR rifle with more rounds for HD at home. Easier to shoot around obstacles.

Imagine yourself having to swing a shotgun around a corner of the bedroom to get a target down a hallway vs a shorter weapon.

At impact the shotgun is going to be more devastating. No debate there, and if you have kids, the #4 might prevent some over penetration, although I doubt seriously 00 buck will make much of a pass through on a human. A miss would bring up some concern.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've shot coons off the front sidewalk in the winter at the cat food dish with 3" #2 steel and it's just like a slug entry/exit at a distance of 5-10 yards. Sparks go everywhere as it bounces off the sidewalk when it exits lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot coons off the front sidewalk in the winter at the cat food dish with 3" #2 steel and it's just like a slug entry/exit at a distance of 5-10 yards. Sparks go everywhere as it bounces off the sidewalk when it exits lol.

Hadn't thought of that. This now becomes one of my must do things. Sparks off the cement. :D

I've always had a big laugh watching the TV bad boys get showers of sparks from lead ammo on cement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom