Shotgun bore polish/hone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only take my shotguns out a couple times a year currently. Curious, who here polishes and/or hones their shotgun barrels? Is it worth it if you're not shooting every weekend? Which method/products do you use?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless there is rust or scale from being stored a long time, it shouldn't need to be polished or honed on a regular basis. Just a good old fashioned cleaning after each use.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of those sheeps wool rods that's 3' long with a bronze brush on the end. Sits in the corner of the safe. Put a little oil on it, swab the bore with it and put away. Ive got some collector grade shotguns that rarely get shot. The bores are bright and shiny.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot my old stevens 12 gauges many hundreds of times with all kinds of ammo .. bores are shiny.
never had to polish one. I think my newest 12 gauge was built in 1947.
My oldest is 1924.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of those sheeps wool rods that's 3' long with a bronze brush on the end. Sits in the corner of the safe. Put a little oil on it, swab the bore with it and put away. Ive got some collector grade shotguns that rarely get shot. The bores are bright and shiny.

0e3c5c4b19c8ba7c1297b49a81408a7d.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom