Shotgun Fletchette Recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, do you think you could use these for turkey hunting? seems like it would be easier to clean.

I am not aware of any regulation prohibiting it. Maybe Jared can answer if he reads this, he is a Game Warden?!?

By the way, mine came in, and I just ordered a shotgun shell reloader......

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty cool....I've seen the commercial flechette ammo, but didn't know you could buy them and roll your own. Pretty cool, and would be a brutal home defense round.

Guy I worked with was in Viet Nam, and he said there was a couple of "shotgun men" with them that used those rounds. Said if you shot someone in the guts with them, it was near impossible to patch them up. Don't know, but wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of them.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to just open up a few 12 gauge shells and dump out the shot and cram a bunch of flechettes in their and close it back up. Since they would be lighter than the lead pellets, there wouldn't be any overpressure situation would there?

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to just open up a few 12 gauge shells and dump out the shot and cram a bunch of flechettes in their and close it back up. Since they would be lighter than the lead pellets, there wouldn't be any overpressure situation would there?

I am not sure, but you might want to check on this. I think the Fletchettes are steel, so they may be heavier. If so, pressure could be an issue, you would need a slower powder, I think. Also, if you need to load them like they were steel, the cup is different also. I am reading a little on this, since I have never loaded a shotgun shell before.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure, but you might want to check on this. I think the Fletchettes are steel, so they may be heavier. If so, pressure could be an issue, you would need a slower powder, I think. Also, if you need to load them like they were steel, the cup is different also. I am reading a little on this, since I have never loaded a shotgun shell before.

Lead is more dense than steel by a long shot. The steel fletchetts would be lighter than the shot he poured out.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lead is more dense than steel by a long shot. The steel fletchetts would be lighter than the shot he poured out.

Hmmm, then my next concern in emptying a lead shell, would be the cup. From what I have read, anything steel, needs to be in a different type of cup, than anything lead. It has no compression stage like a lead one does.

Once again, I am just reading about this stuff right now, don't really know, so any input is appreciated. Haven't loaded any yet, mainly because no one knows a good load for it, or if I should just load it like a steel shot round.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty cool....I've seen the commercial flechette ammo, but didn't know you could buy them and roll your own. Pretty cool, and would be a brutal home defense round.
Guy I worked with was in Viet Nam, and he said there was a couple of "shotgun men" with them that used those rounds. Said if you shot someone in the guts with them, it was near impossible to patch them up. Don't know, but wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of them.

Again, this load will kill, but probably slowly enough to let the intruder kill back. Using these in a 12 ga. puts you squarely into the experimental mode. Not a good place to be when shooting an intruder. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom