Shotgun for HD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 20ga 870 Tactical. It is loaded with Remington #3 Buckshot 2 3/4in shell w/20 pellets. From my front door to my bedroom is a straight 13yd shot. All the bedrooms are behind me, back wall by FD is garage. Tell me why I'm wrong or right with this set up, and tell me what and why you use for HD.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe its all personal preference and what you're comfortable with.
If you know your surroundings and have something you're quick and handy with...rock and roll.

I keep my 590 with an IFL handy, loaded with 9 rounds of 00buck (9 pellet).
Mossberg 590.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you patterned it? EVERY SG needs patterned. You are likely just fine but you need to know if you are likely to miss with any pellets at that range. The velocity for that load looks to be 1220, so right between a low recoil and standard 12Ga load. Ought to work just fine with 000 IMO.

I run 12ga with Federal FC 8 pellet 00 buck low recoil because they work well out of every cylinder bore I've put them through. I do have a stash of Winchester #1 buck that patterned very well out of the mossberg 590 I just sold. Haven't got to pattern them in the Browning yet.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There’ll be guys checking in saying use the 1100 (or another auto-loader) instead, in case you get your arm blown off. Screw those guys.
Use the 870.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There’ll be guys checking in saying use the 1100 (or another auto-loader) instead, in case you get your arm blown off. Screw those guys.
Use the 870.

I'm that guy and the 870 sucks for HD for the very reason you mentioned.
Prove me wrong.

No pumps here, I've seen too many guys short pump them in the duck blinds during the excitement. Don't need that happening at home either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom