Shotgun for HD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think overall that the detachable magazine fed shotguns would be the ones with the most problems. What are your thoughts on those?
I don't know how they run but it looks silly to me. A 870 pump with a detachable box mag just don't look right. Maybe its like when new trucks come out it takes a couple years to grow on you.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very few police or military entities run box fed shotguns, so in the context of those classes I don't run into many of them. Competition classes are another matter and yes the box fed guns tend to jam, but seldom break. I'd say the mag fed guns are about on par trouble wise as 870s and both have their own peculiar manual of arms for clearing jams and miss feeds. Now when I teach competition classes I really don't see to many pumps or mag fed guns, most all are semi autos the pumps I do see are Benelli Nova's and those tend to run.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once got to play with a Winchester Defender in 20ga that had an 18” barrel and a full size (or maybe slightly shortened) stock that I thought would make an ideal home defense scattergun. It was short and light, so it was easy to handle, but it was a 20ga, so the lightness didn’t hurt it as bad on felt recoil. Plus, its finish has been damaged, so the wood had been stripped and refinished with a very dull finish, with very little stain, almost an unfinished wood look. I thought it was a good-looking little scattergun.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should add the link to your build thread. I forgot some of the details I am trying to remember. You shortened barrel IIRC, what extended magazine tube?
Good idea Bassin. Done.

Yes it's now 18 3/16" or so, give or take. I gave it an extra 1/4" over 18" and filed it square and smoothed it all up after chopping it with a hacksaw. The tube is from Nordic Components. It's for a Browning BPS and they share the same thread as the Belgian Auto-5s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom