shotgun friendly ranges?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so, i was wondering if anyone knows of a place i could take a semi auto shotgun to do some clay pidgeon trap shooting? i got a saiga 12 and last time i took it somewhere i got some dirty looks. bunch of snobby people with 2-3k over under shotguns. anyhow.... i can cut just not load my magazines fully or modify or purchase one to hold just 2 rounds if need be, i just dont want to go somewhere that will tell me hey you can shoot that here because we dont like the way it looks!

on the flip side to that,
anywhere that i can shoot my saiga 12? i got a bunch of shells from walmart for cheap. i shot it off at h & h and some guy came in yelling at me NO RAPID FIRE WITH THAT SHOTGUN!!! was definitely a WTF moment, as i have never had that issue before and i have went there all the time. keep in mind there was guys in another bay firing off ar-15s just as fast as they could but for some reason they have a problem with me shooting my shotgun. ever since henrys guns got shut down i miss being able to go shoot this gun :(
159485762_714716922557683_3031378909988163421_n.gif

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so, i was wondering if anyone knows of a place i could take a semi auto shotgun to do some clay pidgeon trap shooting? i got a saiga 12 and last time i took it somewhere i got some dirty looks. bunch of snobby people with 2-3k over under shotguns. anyhow.... i can cut down my magazine to hold just 2 rounds if need be, i just dont want to go somewhere that will tell me hey you can shoot that here because we dont like the way it looks!

anywhere that i can shoot my saiga 12? i got a bunch of shells from walmart for cheap. i shot it off at h & h and some guy came in yelling at me NO RAPID FIRE WITH THAT SHOTGUN!!! was definitely a WTF moment, as i have never had that issue before and i have went there all the time. keep in mind there was guys in another bay firing off ar-15s just as fast as they could but for some reason they have a problem with me shooting my shotgun. ever since henrys guns got shut down i miss being able to go shoot this gun :(
Most of the ranges I know of are outdoor ranges and require an annual membership to shoot there unless one is invited as a guest.
OKC gun range allows visitors with a paid member. You might ask around and see if someone will take you as a guest.
If you want to drive to Ponca, I'll take you to our trap range area and shoot my Akudal 1911 AR platform 12 ga with you.

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
eh, im really thinking more and more i need to join a gun club or private range around here. im not sure what okc gun range you are talking about but ill keep it in mind though. it would be really cool to shoot the ak and ar shotguns and have them both side by side for comparison.

i really would like to join a trap shooting club or a private gun range or gun club in general after that. it was the most fun i had in forever shooting clays even with having to hand load a single shell in at a time with a gun ment to feed from a magazine.

i was griping over the fact a few months ago places required a nra membership and after i had all that fun shooting clays i would say the nra membership definitely seems worth the price now if i got to go do that more often.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
eh, im really thinking more and more i need to join a gun club or private range around here. im not sure what okc gun range you are talking about but ill keep it in mind though. it would be really cool to shoot the ak and ar shotguns and have them both side by side for comparison.

i really would like to join a trap shooting club or a private gun range or gun club in general after that. it was the most fun i had in forever shooting clays even with having to hand load a single shell in at a time with a gun ment to feed from a magazine.

i was griping over the fact a few months ago places required a nra membership and after i had all that fun shooting clays i would say the nra membership definitely seems worth the price now if i got to go do that more often.
Here is the web page of the OKC gun club.
https://www.okcgunclub.org/
Be advised they have a waiting list to get in. People drop out and new members take their place. Be patient.

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ill look into it again.... im sure i will need to get a over and under shotgun & they sure are expensive. makes me gritt my teeth when i can get a ak or ar magazine fed shotgun for 600$..... even if i join a club i feel like they still would have rules about me shooting my saiga 12.

if i was to get a over/under i would want one that actually ejects the shells out when you crack it in half. all the videos of the ones i have seen the past few days when they break the gun open they had to manually remove the shells. only over/under i saw that actually ejected the shells when it was broke open was a winchester 101 if i remember right, but i know others do it as well. i know i shot a family members really old double barrel that ejected shells when split open.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
OKCGC doesn’t allow rapid fire either unless it’s a match.
Most manufacturers make a model with auto ejectors. I’ve got a CZ 20g o/u that is really nice but if I had to do it again, I’d get the next model up with the ejectors

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ill look into it again.... im sure i will need to get a over and under shotgun & they sure are expensive. makes me gritt my teeth when i can get a ak or ar magazine fed shotgun for 600$..... even if i join a club i feel like they still would have rules about me shooting my saiga 12.

if i was to get a over/under i would want one that actually ejects the shells out when you crack it in half. all the videos of the ones i have seen the past few days when they break the gun open they had to manually remove the shells. only over/under i saw that actually ejected the shells when it was broke open was a winchester 101 if i remember right, but i know others do it as well. i know i shot a family members really old double barrel that ejected shells when split open.
Ruger red label, Browning Citori and it's variants have ejectors, only ejecting the spent shell, not the remaining loaded one.
I'm sure there are others that do the same, but I don't have experience with them.
Older SXS and OU's didn't uses ejectors because they hadn't developed the engineering to differentiate between a fired round and an unfired round.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the web page of the OKC gun club.
https://www.okcgunclub.org/
Be advised they have a waiting list to get in. People drop out and new members take their place. Be patient.

The last orientation class for this year (from what I hear) went through a couple of weeks ago. Those putting in applications now will be in the orientation classes starting in December.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score

OKCGC doesn’t allow rapid fire either unless it’s a match.
Most manufacturers make a model with auto ejectors. I’ve got a CZ 20g o/u that is really nice but if I had to do it again, I’d get the next model up with the ejectors

Ruger red label, Browning Citori and it's variants have ejectors, only ejecting the spent shell, not the remaining loaded one.
I'm sure there are others that do the same, but I don't have experience with them.
Older SXS and OU's didn't uses ejectors because they hadn't developed the engineering to differentiate between a fired round and an unfired round.

Those guns don't have ejectors because most places claim any shell that hit the ground. Some older guns did have ejector technology available, but did not differentiate the spent from the unshot rounds. My 1964 Winchester 101 will throw them 6 feet behind you. I have learned to catch them when they pop out. My friends 101 doesn't throw them out as they had the ejectors removed or modified to only push the shells up a little.

While it's a little ride for some, Quail Ridge out by Mcloud is one of the best sporting clays places I've ever been. The owners are super friendly too. take a ride one day and give it a try. And they don't care what your gun looks like.
https://quailridgeclays.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom