Shotgun recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay I couldn't remember for sure. Mine is a Belgium made with fixed choke but I keep the original barrel in the safe and have a replacement barrel to use out in the field that has screw in chokes and that you can shoot steel through. I couldn't remember the exact markings on my original barrel but do remember seeing special steel on the replacement one that I use and thought maybe that might be an indicator.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If 20 gauge is an option, the Franchi Affinity 3 is a hell of a gun for the price. My wife shoots one for sporting clays and I've shot it as well. Super light and recoil is negligible. Beretta A300 if 12 gauge is needed.

He actually originally asked about 20 and I may have led him astray by suggesting he stick to 12 because you can get light and heavy loads for 12 so to me 20 is not really any advantage... And from what I have seen over the last two years is that 20 gauge ammo has been much harder to find than 12 gauge.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also my experience on 1100 versus A5 is that the 1100 can be very picky about cycling if it is not super clean. I shot one of those when I was younger and got frustrated with it because of that and obviously the solution is to keep it super clean but I fear that would also be an issue out in a duck blind. My A5 has never been that particular about being surgically clean. That is probably me giving the 1100 a bad wrap but that experience in my youth has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I still have that 1100 though.... I keep it around since I have enough 20 gauge ammo to make it worthwhile.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Owning several 1100's, I've never had an issue with cleaning to make them reliable. They just run year after year on trap ranges and in the field.
There is a possibility that your rings or O ring may be at fault. Can't tell you how many thousands of rounds I've put down an 1100 without a single cleaning. 12 and lite 20 ga. None with replaceable chokes though as they are a bit older.
Benelli's are great shotguns with replaceable chokes but may be a bit over the budget of your friend. Buy once and cry once though.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve owned a bunch of shotguns, and my go to do all for the last 28 years has been a Benelli M1 Super 90 12 ga.

Given the limiting factors of the new shooter, I would recommend something in 20 gauge for reduced recoil, but in my opinion, 20 gauge isn’t “optimal“ for goose hunting. (Before anyone rakes my @ss over the coals, I only said 20 ga wasn’t OPTIMAL, and I didn’t say it wouldn’t work for goose hunting)
As far as guns, I’ve never owned one but have shot several really nice lightweight Franchi 20 gauges, and I’ve owned a couple or three Benelli 20 gauges. If I was looking for a lightweight 20 auto loader today, I really think Franchi would be my choice.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Goose hunting is a 12 ga game, using STEEL (non-toxic) shot.

O/U is not generally recommended for steel shot use.

Trap and skeet are very different games.

Semi-auto, 12 ga, screw in chokes are required. Under $1000 budget.

REMINGTON

1100 or 11-87 is your answer. Versa-Max are hit and miss, is have heard of dependability issues.

Have used 1100s for 50 years. Never an issue with any of them. Was a goose guide, used a 12 ga 3" with choke tubes.

Browning A5 is good, if you can get choke tubes.

Mossberg 590 is a good choice.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve bought 2 benelli M2’s used for $800. Probably couldn’t find one for that now but he could come close. If I ever find a used M2 20 for a decent price, I’ll pic it up.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A400Xcel is the softest recoil semiauto out there(blue receiver). He'll want 12g over 20g for trap without question. I see chair shooters shoot those frequently when traveling the trap circuit with my daughter. Every great once in a while you'll see a chair shooter with an O/U but most don't, mostly due to handling when opening and closing, recoil isn't usually the issue. Pretty sure there was one for sale here recently. Usually just a little over $1000 for a used one.

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The A5 is my go-to bird and clay gun but that is also what I grew up shooting and shoot the best of what I have. I just figured I would ask here to get alternate opinions but it is funny that the same gun got mentioned early on. He has actually sent me a link to two of those in the $800 range.

On the A5 if it's barrel is marked special steel that means it can shoot steel shot correct?
Special steel is something Browning specific for some of their barrels and does not mean steel shot is OK. It was Browning's way of indicating the steel met proof requirements.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom