"Shotguns for Home Protection"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From Greg Ellifritz

An intersting article and a quick read.

A couple of pertinent paragraphs from the article.

From the book "Holloway's Raiders",

" In the 36 shotgun gunfights, 31 criminals were hit. Eighteen of those criminals died from their wounds. Only five of the 31 people shot required more than one round to neutralize. That means 25 out of 31 stopped after being hit with a single shotgun round."

And from Ellfritz's 2011 study of handgun stopping power,

An 81% “one shot stop” rate is quite enviable. In my 2011 study of handgun stopping power, I found that in nearly 1800 shootings, service caliber handgun loads stopped people with one shot between 34% and 49% of the time, depending on caliber. In 126 rifle-caliber shootings, the criminal stopped after one shot in only 58% of incidents.

https://www.activeresponsetraining....O-82FaG9eackqYhSHY-UienEqAKVRQm2IrH2JK4HUcCMw

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The question is what were they hit with shot wise? I've treated many shotgun victims, that bird shot did nothing lethal to at close range. It would pulverize a column of tissue, the same diameter as the shot pattern, but wouldn't penetrate to anything vital. Slugs and 00, that's another story. Edit: Looks like that statistic was for 00.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FYI, the Savage Stevens 320 models will cycle and shoot Aguilla and Federal mini shotshells without an adapter. The Aguilla buckshot round has 4 #1 buck and 7 #4 buckshot pellets at 1250fps and a standard 320 mag tube will take 9+1rounds of minis.
Nifty home defense for a budget price

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI, the Savage Stevens 320 models will cycle and shoot Aguilla and Federal mini shotshells without an adapter. The Aguilla buckshot round has 4 #1 buck and 7 #4 buckshot pellets at 1250fps and a standard 320 mag tube will take 9+1rounds of minis.

The shells would be almost as much as the gun.

Those mini shells are cool, but danged expensive. Doesn't make sense.

I would love to use the 7 1/2 minis, but they price is going to have get more in line with promo shells.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good read. I love the shotgun as a defense weapon. Major fight stopper.

i’ve never used one on any two legged enemies, but I have on four-legged. coyotes, stray dogs, raccoons, etc. living out in the country and having livestock I have woke up in the night a few times and had to shoot stuff. I can tell you right now there’s a big difference between hitting a coyote with a 9 mm pistol, and a 12 gauge with buckshot. Within 50yds the 12ga knocks ‘em down HARD

as long as you don’t live in an house/area with overpenetration concerns, 12 gauge with buckshot all the way for a home defense weapon

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The shells would be almost as much as the gun.

Those mini shells are cool, but danged expensive. Doesn't make sense.

I would love to use the 7 1/2 minis, but they price is going to have get more in line with promo shells.
Atwood's usually has them for about $20 a box.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say being able to hit your target is a bigger concern than overpenetration. Unless you can't hit your target...

If a shotgun works for ya, knock yourself out. Obviously a shotgun is still a viable weapon for defense.

But I'll take an AR with good ammo (pick your caliber) every single time. I'm a firm believer an AR will do anything a shotgun will do for defense and it will do many things better with more capacity, more maneuverability, less recoil and generally better accuracy.

YMMV...

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, if you dont mind “ made in china” stamped on the barrel.. the couple ive seen worked, but i think i’d buy a gun made just about anywhere else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom