Should felony threshold be lowered back down to $500 again?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My understanding is that in 2016 the amount required for a theft to be considered a felony was changed by vote from $500 to $1000.
Now we see all kinds of merchandise being locked up in stores like Home Depot. Would lowering the amount back to $500 again do any good or is it more of a failure to prosecute or maybe a failure to detain the thief? What will help stop this?

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I certainly don't think a theft in any dollar amount, regardless of how small, should be a felony. But I also don't think $1000 is reasonable. I'd rather see it at $500. But with the way inflation's going, it doesn't take much to reach that $1000 threshold. So maybe attempt to categorize items into some sort of priority system. But that sounds too complicated and subjective.

On the other hand, if you're caught stealing from someone's property, justice should be swift and severe.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remove any and all negative consequences for protecting your property. I believe that would have a greater effect in reducing theft. It might cause an immediate rise in the negative consequences of thievery, but would quickly diminish due to attrition.

Woody
Would certainly change the definition of "Trap House"

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took theft reports where someone stole a vehicle. It was not a felony because the car wasn't worth $500.

Look at what the west coast did by not prosecuting shoplifting and making all thefts misdemeanors. It has killed businesses and therefore the communities. You gets what you votes for.

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Felony theft definitely should be lower that $1,000. Maybe as low as $100. Look at what is happening in many OKC neighborhoods. People go around checking car doors all the time. If they damage the car in the process of breaking in the owner is stuck with a deductible and no compensation for damage. People walk into garages and walk out with lawn mowers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom