Should felony threshold be lowered back down to $500 again?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless they have changed it, if they break in then it is totally different than if they just walk up and take it, but the way things are changing these days nothing would surprise me.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Misdemeanor Crimes and Penalties in Oklahoma​

Oklahoma specifies penalties for misdemeanors on a crime-by-crime basis. The criminal statute might specify a sentence of 30 days, 90 days, or six months' incarceration, for instance. The maximum potential jail sentence for a misdemeanor is one year. If no penalty is specified in statute, a misdemeanor defaults to a maximum of one year in county jail and a $500 fine.

Examples. Here are some examples of Oklahoma's misdemeanor crimes and penalties.

• Assault: maximum of 30 days' incarceration and a $500 fine
  • Assault and battery: maximum of 90 days' incarceration and a $1,000 fine
  • Falsely reporting a crime: maximum of 90 days' incarceration and a $500 fine
  • Reckless driving: minimum of five days and maximum of 90 days' incarceration and a $100 to $500 fine for a first offense
  • Slander: minimum of 30 days and maximum of 120 days' incarceration and a $100 to $500 fine
  • Obstructing emergency medical providers: maximum of six months' incarceration and a $500 fine
  • Stalking offenses: maximum of one year's incarceration and a $1,000 fine
  • Petit larceny: maximum of one year's incarceration and a $1,000 fine

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I certainly don't think a theft in any dollar amount, regardless of how small, should be a felony.
I absolutely agree. It’s easy to have a “send’m all to Hell” mentality and I gotta say I understand the feeling…..it’s just not practical. For a medium security prisoner in Oklahoma it costs all of us as Okies $22,650.00 per year to house them. Can you imagine how filled our prison system would be if we stuck everyone that ripped off a $20.00 shirt in the Big House? I believe Oklahoma already tops the list in our nation for per capita incarcerations and if we started doing that we’d go bankrupt in no time. Now to answer OPs question, I’m thinkin’ I’d keep it at $1,000 for now BUT what I’d do differently is I’d work the hide off of everyone who pilfered $999.99 and under. I’d have those boys cleaning spray paint off of walls and scrubbing public restrooms with toothbrushes.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
A simple reminder, a felony is a crime that is punishable by incarceration over 1 year in the state prison system.

A Misdemeanor is a crime punishable by imprisonment less than a year in the county jail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom