Should I buy a new truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my conundrum. I do not need one, mine only has 117,000 miles and is a 2015. I will likely get a new one in four or five years pending I don’t now.

Here is what I am thinking, I buy one now and drive it very little and keep the old one and use it for my daily driver/hunting truck. Then in five years I have a low miles replacement.

My reasoning behind this is:
- I DO NOT want an electric vehicle and I am thinking that or a tiny engine gasoline is all that will be available thanks to the eco crazies.
- With costs going up, up and away the prices may be out of reach in five years.
- I don’t need any options other than 4x4, AC, back up camera and Sirius so whatever new fancy gadgets will come out in the future do not matter to me.

What does the brain trust at OSA think? Am I overthinking it and should I just hold off until I need one?

Discuss
I'm old enough to remember when home wind mills, to generate power, were here to stay, and would make massave generating plants obsolete! Now only a few towers stand, and are bird roost! I don't know, or care, if EV take over or not, but it will have to stand, or fall, on it's own merit, when the government subsidies stop, and politicians, and their lap dog news media, go on to other lies to control the unwashed masses. This like everything else, will be decided by the only totally unbiased judge on this earth, the free market system!!

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't buy a new one since 2005 and I got it used from my brother in law's family when he passed away- he had taken it to the dealer for an oil change and they told him he needed to replace the front wheel bearings and they quoted just short of a grand to do that. They sold to me wholesale value over some wheel bearings needing replaced. I drove it till last year when it had 280k miles and was starting to smoke just a little- valve guides going bad I'm sure- anyway we were having a garage sale and I went and got a for sale sign and stuck on it. I had looked for values online and a dealer in Edmond had one the same model and year with 240k and had it up for sale $5999. I put $5000 on it and got $4500 - ran fine but needing some work- one back window didn't work- spare holder broke off and a dent on one rear fender. I had bought a 2006 Honda crv from my son in law with 200k miles for 2 grand- spent around $1500 on new air compressor- starter- master cylinder- and it runs great. Now during all this my wife who is retired drove our 2011 Cadillac that has around 180k miles- runs great and has had few problems. My daughter just turned 16 so I bought a new Cadillac TR4 that I love but keep driving that old Honda cause my work has me driving down rock roads sometimes and there are occasional times I need something from Lowes. So far, I have not missed my truck. Here's how I see it- 3 vehicles has been nice- a nice new one when I want that- a nice older one my wife still drives and that my daughter will drive- an old beater that I can use to run look at a house- pick up material and carry tools. Insurance is a pain, but not having a payment on 30-40k new pickup makes it ok. They are offering some low interest rates on many models. I do not think I would have a new one that sits around most of the time that will be a grand and up for insurance. It will loose value and if the market softens more- will not be worth near what they are today. Unless you have a great job and extra money to spread around to be able to drive a new one when you feel like it- I say no.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm almost completely stupid about cars and trucks, and the queen and I are looking to replace her Mazda CX5 with something a little bigger, I was thinking maybe a 4 Runner. What's the difference between 4 Runner and Highlander, in a nutshell.
4 Runner sits higher and may have a little bit more room. My wife wasn't interested in one so we didn't even drive one. She's very happy with her highlander.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One is based on the Tacoma truck and is off road capable with a bullet proof drivetrain and the other is a mini van.
You're saying the Highlander is the mini-van I guess? Have you driven one? It's definitely NOT a mini-van. :)

EDIT: So you're saying the highlander shares the frame of the toyota mini-van?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom