Should I buy a new truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I test drove the last two models, same with Honda’s version, I hate them.
The only thing I'm not a fan of with the latest Highlanders is that I feel they made the wind shield smaller and more cramp if you compare it to the one we had. Otherwise it's a very smooth driving vehicle. My wife likes it so it's what we got. I might drive it 4-6 times a month but she'll drive it every day during the school year.

Glenee

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought a 2023 4 runner. Good ride. You had better buy something before 2025-2026 thats when the new law's goes into effect for all cars to have auto DUI/DWI checking capabilities. 2026 is the deadline. If the car/truck notices you driving erratic or have some level of alcohol in your system. It takes control of shutting the vehicle slowly down and then off then records the data and sends out alert. There is a big Youtube on it by some attorney's now, that how I learned of it .

radiorob

Marksman
Reaction score
If I were to buy a spare truck I'd use the new one for a daily driver until the warranty was up to make sure it was not a lemon. I try to do this with all the spare equipment I have becuase you don't know if it'll work until you test it.
I was thinking like you were regarding the new CAFE standards adopted last month. If nothing is changes all new vehicles sold after 2026 will have to meet fuel efficiency standards only achievable in electric or hybrid vehicles. I wondered if it would be a good investment to buy and store some regular gas only cars and trucks as a gamble on price appreciation. I decided it was too risky to think about further.

Gunblinder

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just an FYI, the 4 runner while indestructible with regular maintenance, uses gas like no other SUV. About 16-17 mpg for the 4wd version, so mileage is something to consider

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been looking at trucks lately found out for the truck i want, which is a single cab was only offered in a turbo.Since i don't want a turbo i may be forced to get a 4 door which takes up too much space in the garage.Still just looking around.I don't need a truck like i use to so may end up buying an suv of some kind or a truck that is a few years old.90% of the time i drive a sonata that gets 40m.p.g. on the highway and has 46 inches of front leg room.I don't see the quality of any of them getting better in the future so i won't wait too long to buy.

Glenee

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 2023 after 4500 miles is getting 15mpg city and about 21mpg hiway. Not great but it is all time 4 wheel drive.I owned 6 sequioa's before this 4 runner and they got about 12 city and 22 hiway. The 4 runner is solid and a perfect choice for my retirement.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought a 2023 4 runner. Good ride. You had better buy something before 2025-2026 thats when the new law's goes into effect for all cars to have auto DUI/DWI checking capabilities. 2026 is the deadline. If the car/truck notices you driving erratic or have some level of alcohol in your system. It takes control of shutting the vehicle slowly down and then off then records the data and sends out alert. There is a big Youtube on it by some attorney's now, that how I learned of it .

I was just going to post this. I would buy one now out of fear of the loss of control and loss of privacy that's coming with this.
Of course it could somehow be stopped, but it's already law.
I think there was a thread about this a few weeks ago.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my conundrum. I do not need one, mine only has 117,000 miles and is a 2015. I will likely get a new one in four or five years pending I don’t now.

Here is what I am thinking, I buy one now and drive it very little and keep the old one and use it for my daily driver/hunting truck. Then in five years I have a low miles replacement.

My reasoning behind this is:
- I DO NOT want an electric vehicle and I am thinking that or a tiny engine gasoline is all that will be available thanks to the eco crazies.
- With costs going up, up and away the prices may be out of reach in five years.
- I don’t need any options other than 4x4, AC, back up camera and Sirius so whatever new fancy gadgets will come out in the future do not matter to me.

What does the brain trust at OSA think? Am I overthinking it and should I just hold off until I need one?

Discuss
So, @Dorkus where are you at on this conundrum? Are you buying a truck or not?!? :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom