SHOULD I CHARGE FRIEND OF A FRIEND ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loaned a transmission jack to a friend once over the weekend.

Later found out he rented it to another guy.
106175-49d784bef6807223563e66ec189df5d0.jpg
I gave a buddy some stuff I had in my shop when he helped me move that he said he could use.
He sold it all.

carready

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friends and friends of friends usually pay in beer or bourbon. Repairs, transfers, whatever. Some throw cash at me every now and then. Kinda just depends on the job.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I help friends install triggers, build AR's, and simple gun work. Nothing stays overnight, and I have them do the work while looking over their shoulder. Sometimes its just the fear of the unknown that prevents some from venturing into repairing a gun. Having all the tools helps too.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friends don't ask friends for discounts or freebies from their business or livelihood. If it's not your income that's up to you.

I see this alot and while I kinda understand where you're coming from, I generally disagree with the sentiment. I personally think friends should be willing to help eachother...and if you're really good at something thats generally what you get paid for in life.
There is a big difference in knowing who your friends are, and who people you know are. I'm not saying everything should be free or discounted to your friends, but when I read that I always see it as "I'm unwilling to be helpful as a friend unless I'm being paid for it"

(Puts flame suit on)

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see this alot and while I kinda understand where you're coming from, I generally disagree with the sentiment. I personally think friends should be willing to help eachother...and if you're really good at something thats generally what you get paid for in life.
There is a big difference in knowing who your friends are, and who people you know are. I'm not saying everything should be free or discounted to your friends, but when I read that I always see it as "I'm unwilling to be helpful as a friend unless I'm being paid for it"

(Puts flame suit on)
So if your friend is a baker he/she should give you your bread for free?? Or if he/she is an OB they should deliver your baby for free??

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

(Puts flame suit on)

I think it has a lot to do with the particular friend and circumstances. I have 1 friend that is like a brother and we help each other out all the time. I have another that while he's a great guy, is also a bit of a mooch, and you gotta put limits on that.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if your friend is a baker he/she should give you your bread for free?? Or if he/she is an OB they should deliver your baby for free??

I dont recall saying that at all.
I see people post this all the time. I believe there is very strong and reasonable middle ground where the statements like you made appear to be very absolute. If I am good friends with a person and say get a flat and call that buddy for help for whatever reason. By what you said if he is a mechanic he should serve me a bill. I call BS to that.

It also seems that many times, the people who say stuff like that are also the ones who publically ask for help with things and I would think/hope that someone would be able to help their friend without serving them a bill.
It's all circumstance, but the statement always seems absolute in my opinion.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe theres a misinterpretation here on my part, and a difference between "asking for" and "recieving" said help in whatever form it comes.

There is also a difference between “asking for” and “expecting”.

I have a friend in the heat/air business. He has serviced my units for years and it is difficult for me to get him to give me a bill or take money. So when I see he is interested in something gun related, I usually find a way to give it to him. I’ve ordered him a holster, given him a NIB gun as a loan to shoot and now I won’t take it back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom