Should We Wear the Mask?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just spent the weekend in Springfield, Mo. Masks are much more regulated there than in the free state of Oklahoma. Friday evening we went to a very nice restaurant - masks required! We were told there was a wait - so, we waited, alongside six other people sitting elbow to elbow....then we were shown our table, about 4 feet from where we were waiting. THEN it was ok to take the mask off. (I'm not sure what kind of invisible barrier keeps air from traveling around restaurant tables - I'd like to see some blueprints for that)

There is no doubt in mind that the enforcement and practice of that mask wearing made everyone in the place safer. Probably saved some lives.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wear a mask because I believe in the concept of source control & evidence based practice. It may not stop 100% of the droplets, but it will decrease the viral load. I also wear a mask because if I’m Covid + and asymptotic, I don’t want to unintentionally infect a vulnerable person or loved one. I’ve seen too many of them die. Guess my conscience is getting the better of me.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hot off the presses of the Tulsa World:View attachment 179022View attachment 179022
TOP STORY
State epidemiologist's analysis demonstrates success of local mask ordinances
  • Corey Jones
  • Updated 8 hrs ago

COVID-19 cases in the parts of the state without mask mandates grew by 88%, while the population covered by mask ordinances rose by only 21% in the same nearly three-month period, according to the Oct. 30 version of the state's weekly epidemiology report.

Dr. Jennifer Clark, a physician and former hospital administrator, drew attention to that report Wednesday during her weekly COVID-19 data presentation for the OSU Center for Health Sciences’ Project ECHO.

“Not sure you can be more blatant about the fact of how powerful masks are,” Clark said....

Interim state epidemiologist Dr. Jared Taylor’s analysis of the impact of mask mandates encompassed Aug. 1 to Oct. 21 and used the seven-day average of cases by date of onset, with a seven-day lag.

Taylor wrote in response to a question that the Oklahoma State Department of Health has done other assessments, too, that have shown that virus transmission is decreased in communities with mask mandates.

He said that while the “ideal outcome” would be for mask mandates to drive cases to zero, myriad factors influence transmission.

“Overall — we know that masks are the most effective way to prevent transmission and continue to encourage Oklahomans to wear a mask when in public,” Taylor wrote.
I've been following the mask mandate vs non-mandate data that the OSDH started reporting a couple of months ago in the weekly epidemiological report. I wondered when that information would make its widespread debut.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, his original post to which I directed my question:

Should We Wear the Mask?

I guess that his reference to this "Vapotherm/BiPAp" is what you may be referring to as his "pretty comprehensive list with regards to pharmacologic treatments." Neither of those things rang a bell to me, and I did fail to look them up to see what they were. But, even with that said, is that a "comprehensive list?"

Post 182, he misquoted it, but it's in there.

" However regarding meds: I work in a couple of large urban hospitals & have seen everything commonly prescribed-Hydrochloroquine, Remdesivir, Pepcid, budesonide, decadron, convalescent plasma- you name it. "

Looking things up might do you some good. Just sayin.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not going to wear a mask just because the liars in the scientific community want power. They have been lying to us all from the beginning about all of it. Would we use chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes? Maybe some 4' goat fence if you live in the country. Between the liars in "elected" office and the liars in the labs and hospitals we are never going to be done with any of this. They have siezed power by medical tyranny and will not peacefully relinquish it. America is a defeated nation.

Man, I bet you're fun at parties.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been following the mask mandate vs non-mandate data that the OSDH started reporting a couple of months ago in the weekly epidemiological report. I wondered when that information would make its widespread debut.

I remember when I was showing that the numbers were still going up, even though the mandates were in place. You said " there wasn't enough data".... even though I showed plenty of it. Well, it never went down and we've steadily risen since then.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hot off the presses of the Tulsa World:View attachment 179022View attachment 179022
TOP STORY
State epidemiologist's analysis demonstrates success of local mask ordinances
  • Corey Jones
  • Updated 8 hrs ago

COVID-19 cases in the parts of the state without mask mandates grew by 88%, while the population covered by mask ordinances rose by only 21% in the same nearly three-month period, according to the Oct. 30 version of the state's weekly epidemiology report.

Dr. Jennifer Clark, a physician and former hospital administrator, drew attention to that report Wednesday during her weekly COVID-19 data presentation for the OSU Center for Health Sciences’ Project ECHO.

“Not sure you can be more blatant about the fact of how powerful masks are,” Clark said....

Interim state epidemiologist Dr. Jared Taylor’s analysis of the impact of mask mandates encompassed Aug. 1 to Oct. 21 and used the seven-day average of cases by date of onset, with a seven-day lag.

Taylor wrote in response to a question that the Oklahoma State Department of Health has done other assessments, too, that have shown that virus transmission is decreased in communities with mask mandates.

He said that while the “ideal outcome” would be for mask mandates to drive cases to zero, myriad factors influence transmission.

“Overall — we know that masks are the most effective way to prevent transmission and continue to encourage Oklahomans to wear a mask when in public,” Taylor wrote.

I'm shocked Tulsa World will publish something like this? Was it right after their Biden/Harris endorsement? It's like statistics aren't even understood. Given that the areas that had mask mandates already had the highest numbers of covid, the growth of such would be offset by those numbers already being high. Not to mention if you go to less populated areas, an "outbreak" will be more statistically significant. Also, the spread of a virus generally hits the urban areas first, then spreads to the rural areas. Lots of variables that aren't even close to being addressed.

Last edited:

Judi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Won't you think of the Children....she screams....

wear diaper on your face......Still what is the recovery rate this is unk. cause so many people may have had it, and not known.../ death rate...with related illness other then covid....well those numbers keep dropping...What also is directly ONLY...covid death rate ?...

The devil is always in the numbers and facts....

Lot of big money tossed around to nobody quack doctors...who write books and read papers, rather then see someone sick... my doctor said mask do not work, ...

I say...put a bucket on your head and stay home.....I'll live till I die.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drs. Clark and Taylor are telling us that masks work to reduce the spread of COVID, if the Tulsa World article is quoting them correctly. We would be wise to listen when medical experts share their informed opinions instead of hop-scotching to other legitimate or semi-legitimate points:
  • The issue of requiring them to be worn is another matter.
  • Restaurant regulations are questionable at best.
  • Medications that rapidly cure everyone are not being withheld
Local experts using local data and their general medical expertise have answered the question posed in this thread - Masks do work to slow the spread of COVID...It is reasonable to wear them when around people in public.

Latest posts

Top Bottom