Shout Out to Smith & Wesson

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a S&W 340 pd in a trade not long ago. Got it home and cleaned it, and found what I suspected might be erosion on the cylinder. Apparently, somebody prior to me just ignored the warning and shot some light grain .357 mag out of this gun, which is known to cause erosion due to the way the powder burns in the lighter loads. You can't shoot anything less than 120 gr in .357 mag out of these little Airlites, and it says so. Anyway, after I discovered this, and not sure what it was, I called S&W customer service, sent a pic or two, and they sent me a label to ship it back. I decided to do so, even though I thought any costs were more than likely going to be on me since I got it used. Well, she came back yesterday with a new cylinder, all free, even shipping both ways! Now that's what I call customer service. Kudos to S&W; I was so happy, I bought a new S&W M&P .22 Compact as a small way to show my appreciation. These Titanium, cylinders aren't cheap; they didn't have to do this, but they did. I have had nothing but excellent service from S&W, and they make a fine product to start with. Here's some before and after pics (so you know it happened).
9d1c0a56e475b20f3cb093ab023bc72c.jpg
f45f7891519ea4df5abfa043161da3a2.jpg
28ef5729e322c7c5393166969f66fac4.jpg
e94273e2d37842b475106c9a8f76a4e9.jpg

I’ll bring this to the ENS in Enid this Sunday if anybody wants to brave it with some .357 Heavy! Nothing less than 120 grains! Just be ready...

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like gun companies have some of the best customer service of any industry. I broke a decapping rod in a reloading die once due to my own stupidity, called Hornady to order a replacement and they sent one free. I've heard of gun companies repairing guns that were damaged by handloads, even though most say it voids the warranty. Lots of little anecdotal stories like that over the years, IMO S&W had no responsibility for what was probably negligent damage on a revolver bought used, but I'm not really surprised that they fixed it. The shooting industry seems to be unique in going above and beyond to take care of us.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Aries: …"The shooting industry seems to be unique in going above and beyond to take care of us"

Yep. Ruger, Kimber, Walther, and S&W have all done stuff for me like this now. Fixed stuff or sent parts that most other companies would have made me pay for. A few things are... Ruger/Kimber: Lost springs I launched when cleaning guns. Ruger again: Sent free broken rebound spring support. Walther: broken safety drum (replacement sent) and also sent new ejector/safety drum spring. S&W: this new cylinder, plus parts (twice) for M&P .22 Compact I broke or lost when shooting...(rear sight blade and spring, broken extractor/new springs). I am not the only one, I know others have experienced similar service from our good gun companies.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 360PD and I saw that warning on the barrel. I never knew what the issue was. I shot a full box of 50 factory .357 in it when I got it. My wrist and forearm hurt for two days after that.

From the manual:
AMMUNITION SELECTION FOR LIGHTWEIGHT REVOLVERS
• Before placing reduced weight revolvers into service, perform the following test to determine the suitability of the ammunition you intend to use.
• At a gun range or other suitable and safe location, prepare your revolver for firing by fully loading its cylinder with the ammunition to be tested. While pointing the firearm in a safe direction, fire all but one of the rounds in the cylinder. Remove the empty casings and the remaining loaded round from the revolver’s cylinder. Carefully inspect the loaded round that you just removed from the cylinder to determine if the bullet has started to unseat (move forward) from its casing (FIGURE 2). If it has, you should not use the tested ammunition in your revolver. Choose another projectile weight or brand of ammunition and repeat this test until you find one that DOES NOT UNSEAT under these test conditions.
• When you are finished testing, unload your revolver and secure it safely.
CAUTION: Do not use Magnum loads with bullet weights of less than 120 grains - This will reduce the possibility of premature erosion in titanium alloy cylinders.

* Since, I have read a lot about this matter. It only applies to Magnum loads, light .38spl rounds are okay. It's all about the flame produced by lighter, faster Magnum rounds...so if one is going to shoot .357Magnum out of this, or the 360PD, use heavier ammo.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the 360PD and I saw that warning on the barrel. I never knew what the issue was. I shot a full box of 50 factory .357 in it when I got it. My wrist and forearm hurt for two days after that.

I always wondered why no light loads myself - now I know. I have an M&P 360 I traded into that I carry occasionally. Great revolvers.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always wondered why no light loads myself - now I know. I have an M&P 360 I traded into that I carry occasionally. Great revolvers.

To further explain: The lighter .357 Magnum rounds (120 grain or less) use a fast-burning powder to launch the lighter bullet and that fast burning powder will cut or erode the cylinder face and sometimes even the forward sides of the cylinder itself. It only takes a few rounds of light .357 Magnum rounds to do serious damage; so stick to heavier grain bullet weights, above 120 gr, and you will be good. "Good" as in, it won't erode your cylinder; but it will still punish the BeeJeebus outta you if you insist on shooting full power .357 Magnum rounds out of an 11 oz revolver. Stick to .38 specials in any grain and even the +P, and you won't have a problem. According to S&W, this 120 gr rule only applies to .357 Magnum loads. I bought some 158 gr .38 Specials to bring to the ENS in Enid this Sunday. Trust me on this, that's all you're gonna want, unless you be Godzilla-Like behemoth or similar. Or if youse just like pain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom