Shower remodel from a few years ago.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
sorry hard pass. Lol

I still have my 2nd bath to remodel.
Torn on if I should do a complete to the studs tear out and take out the wall to the 2nd bedrooms closet gaining about 16 sq ft and tiling in a walk in shower

or complete tear out and replace the one piece tub shower with a steel tub and tile surround and tile floors

or

leave the one piece tub shower and just install new flooring, toilet and a pedestal sink
Taking out a closet could make that bedroom into a den for resale purposes.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taking out a closet could make that bedroom into a den for resale purposes.

With the house being a 2 bed room I have reservations about taking out that closet. The extra footage in that bath would be nice, but losing the storage in the 2nd bedroom would kind of suck. I could build a smaller 3x3 closet in the corner tho.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't mind paying a fair price for labor but dang if I want to buy the guy a new pickup or something else he wants. That's why I do most all work by myself, it's fun, usually easy and reasonable in cost.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By the third or fourth time I have to start over on a project like that I usually get the hang of it...

anim_coffee.gif

Looks very nice, BTW.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No I have a mechanical background.

I can tackle most things, esp after I make the first cut into something to demo, LOL. Laid my first tile floor in 2005, turned out OK, I see the little things with it no one else does tho.

Not something I want to do every day tho.

Sometimes I will hire out a project, other times I will do it myself. For this one I did have some great advice, esp about pulling the dishwasher and tiling the floor under it, makes changing the dishwasher out a lot easier then tiling in front of it.
Great job!
I've yet to tackle tile, woodwork and concrete being the past forte'.
Upgraded an attached garage in my first home in the 70's to a master bedroom with a two tiered ceiling and walk in closet. I hand made all the trim boards with a router and shaper that I thought was butchered up, but it sure got some good responses from others. The flaws stood out like the full moon on a dark clear night to me, but nobody else saw them evidently.
Fast forward to the latest home, 10 years ago, wife wanted to upgrade the bathroom with tile and a bigger shower.
After seeing how the contractor had to move the drain to accommodate the 3X times bigger shower, I was more than happy to write that check to the contractor. The tile work detail that guy did on the tub and shower was nothing short of phenomenal. Years of experience to be that good.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great job!
I've yet to tackle tile, woodwork and concrete being the past forte'.
Upgraded an attached garage in my first home in the 70's to a master bedroom with a two tiered ceiling and walk in closet. I hand made all the trim boards with a router and shaper that I thought was butchered up, but it sure got some good responses from others. The flaws stood out like the full moon on a dark clear night to me, but nobody else saw them evidently.
Fast forward to the latest home, 10 years ago, wife wanted to upgrade the bathroom with tile and a bigger shower.
After seeing how the contractor had to move the drain to accommodate the 3X times bigger shower, I was more than happy to write that check to the contractor. The tile work detail that guy did on the tub and shower was nothing short of phenomenal. Years of experience to be that good.

Good tile guys are few and far between. I have a friend who retired from tile work, guy is a wonder at the trade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom