SHTF question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work an hour away from home I have thought about keeping an AR in the truck in case something happens. Do I carry it in the truck? Or try to blend in?
I like to keep a rifle in the truck however…..its always at risk of being stolen. I work at a secluded business location so the odds are quite low. When I travel to OKC or any heavily populated area that I will be away from my vehicle for an extended period of time, I usually will not pack any “kits” or fighting rifles because they arent cheap and Im not wealthy enough to own some throw away vehicle defense guns that if stolen, I wouldnt cry over financially. But if in doubt, figure out methods to hide firearms in a vehicle or have some lock device that an average goon would need a long time to actually defeat.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Talking about shtf of whatever, you’re an hour from the house. If it’s “what everyone expects” you have a day or two before people get violent. Plenty of time to walk home with protection. If it goes from a morning commute to WW3/mad max with dudes chasing you with crew served chainsaws and alcohol fed flame throwers in a matter of minutes, I wouldn’t want to be trying to be some trendy navy delta force black ops operator in the streets. If you have a family or kids, I doubt you’re going to want to go out looking for gunfights on the walk home, if you have to walk. Your sidearm and a few mags should be more than enough. Statistics wise, if you get into a gunfight, your life expectancy drops like a rock; period. Rifle or not. I feel like a rifle in the vehicle isn’t for if SHTF or whatever, it’s because you’re expecting a fight where you’re going or along the way. Stuff falling apart is a whole other scenario, and typically you don’t need one for the first 96 hours at least.
😂 unless you have a squad or platoon maybe, I think you are very correct. Avoid conflict and try to get to where you need to be. When the conditions are right and in your favor, then its more viable to be in a fight. My intent is to avoid a fight until I dont have a choice. Whether said “enemy” knows that doesnt matter, as long as I know it.

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for info purposes. If somebody wanted to have a rifle/shotgun in vehicle and leave it, they do make vehicle weapon mounts that bolt in and have locks, even biometric locks. Not fool proof, but better than nothing. Also, the overhead rack that I showed in pic earlier, you can run a cable lock around and through, you can’t take the mount down with the weapons locked to the mount. I use a combination lock so no key to keep track of. I don’t leave weapons in truck overnight or unnecessarily. If my vehicle alarm goes off, it sends alert to the viper pager. Then while you contemplating how to get the rifle out of the rack, if you see it, your going to see the wrong end of my sidearm. I don’t go to 💩 areas looking to get into a fight. Have had a CCW for 25 years and haven’t shot anyone yet, hope I never do, but I refuse to be a victim. If you have a question about MY weapon rack, feel free to PM.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd do just as well to drop a few extended magazines in the glove box.

Anything in a bag is a target for a thief. As far as rigs that lock or have a cable, battery powered cutting wheels are a thing. Never underestimate the brazen ingenuity of an addict/scrapper in chopping out whatever he can to sell.

You may carry one around forever and never have a problem, but the more you drag one around the higher the risk of having it stolen. Then you'll have the talk of shame explaining to the detective that you left an AR unattended for years and it was just fine, until of course it wasn't.

To me the risk of losing a rifle through something as common as vehicles being broken into is far greater than a SHTF scenario catching you off guard and you have to fight your way back to your house/shelter.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a dual rifle rack in my truck that mounts to the roof. You can’t see it from the outside. I’ve been pulled over by LEO, and yes I told them I was armed, they didn’t see it. I’ve had people get in my truck and ride for 10 minutes and didn’t see notice. You can get a cable lock to secure, but, the harder it is to get to your weapon or assemble your weapon, is it really SHTF ready? You keep a disassembled weapon in your vehicle, lol, nobody is going to wait for you to put it together. Nobody is going to wait for you to take a lock off. I have a viper alarm with a pager that alerts me. My practice might not work for you or some of these guys here that are scared of a weiner dog, but maybe it helps you
It’s all fun and games till you have to explain why dirty Mike and the gang now have you’re NFA items to your insurance company. Lol Don’t get me wrong, that is a sweet, badass setup, but it’s not for most people. I can only imagine an insurance adjusters face as you tell her the price of an Elcan. 😆

Also, truck mounted racks go flying in accidents. I’ve seen hunting rifles and ARs thrown quite a ways from the scene of a collision.

I think the OP is saying a SHTF moment during a riot or outage and he now has to get home. I don’t think he’s talking about getting carjacked and pulling out a rifle. A broken down AR with some extra mags in a backpack is an awesome option for most people.

I travel with my deployment bag when going on long trips and a 3 day assault pack if I’m going to be going away for work. The assault pack is just a cheap hunting backpack, loaded with a chest rig, belt with holster for my concealed carry, 2 pistol mags and a rifle mag. The belt has more items on it, but that’s all you really need. The guns go with me if I’m going to be parked and in an office. No one has ever asked me about the bag nor have I ever had any issues.

I’m not the type to leave guns in vehicles. I understand why others do, but I just hate the idea of needing it and not being able to get to my truck. I’ve been in several riot lockdowns, active shooter lockdowns (always just a precaution) and I haven’t been able to get to my truck. I’d be punching myself if all I had was my 320 and everything else was sitting in my truck. Lol.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
shtf fatty.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom