SHTF question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s all fun and games till you have to explain why dirty Mike and the gang now have you’re NFA items to your insurance company. Lol Don’t get me wrong, that is a sweet, badass setup, but it’s not for most people. I can only imagine an insurance adjusters face as you tell her the price of an Elcan. 😆

Also, truck mounted racks go flying in accidents. I’ve seen hunting rifles and ARs thrown quite a ways from the scene of a collision.

I think the OP is saying a SHTF moment during a riot or outage and he now has to get home. I don’t think he’s talking about getting carjacked and pulling out a rifle. A broken down AR with some extra mags in a backpack is an awesome option for most people.

I travel with my deployment bag when going on long trips and a 3 day assault pack if I’m going to be going away for work. The assault pack is just a cheap hunting backpack, loaded with a chest rig, belt with holster for my concealed carry, 2 pistol mags and a rifle mag. The belt has more items on it, but that’s all you really need. The guns go with me if I’m going to be parked and in an office. No one has ever asked me about the bag nor have I ever had any issues.

I’m not the type to leave guns in vehicles. I understand why others do, but I just hate the idea of needing it and not being able to get to my truck. I’ve been in several riot lockdowns, active shooter lockdowns (always just a precaution) and I haven’t been able to get to my truck. I’d be punching myself if all I had was my 320 and everything else was sitting in my truck. Lol.
Ok, you apparently didn’t read earlier post. 1. I never said my setup would be great for the masses, I said this is what I use in answer to the question. If it works for you, great, if not, find a different solution. I don’t need a critique or all the reasons why it doesn’t work for you. I don’t care. I’m not trying to prove my method works for anybody other than me.
2. I specifically stated that I don’t leave weapons in my truck overnight, for long periods, AND, I rarely use the rack. I DO have a high quality alarm, with a pager. I don’t take long guns with me if I have to be more than a hundred yards from my truck. There is risks vs reward. I don’t go to 💩 areas looking for a fight.
3. If I was in an accident, it could come down, I could also be dead. If you have yours in a backpack, it could hit you and kill you too.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wif had to go to Dallas Market Center on business. Had her Anaheim Conversion Suburban stolen. Had S&W Chief Special and 50 rounds in Suburban.
She calls to tell me and asked about Cops about the S&W. I told her tell them and I would get info on gun.
The Cop was more interested in the gun and ammo, than he was the Suburban.
Gave him description and s/n.

Found shell of Suburban a week later, insurance totalled it.
Found my S&W a month later, when hood rat tried to knock off 7-11. Got capped for his stupidity.
My S&W disappeared from the Dallas PD evidence locker. SURPRISE!!

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, you apparently didn’t read earlier post. 1. I never said my setup would be great for the masses, I said this is what I use in answer to the question. If it works for you, great, if not, find a different solution. I don’t need a critique or all the reasons why it doesn’t work for you. I don’t care. I’m not trying to prove my method works for anybody other than me.
2. I specifically stated that I don’t leave weapons in my truck overnight, for long periods, AND, I rarely use the rack. I DO have a high quality alarm, with a pager. I don’t take long guns with me if I have to be more than a hundred yards from my truck. There is risks vs reward. I don’t go to 💩 areas looking for a fight.
3. If I was in an accident, it could come down, I could also be dead. If you have yours in a backpack, it could hit you and kill you too.
I traveled all over the NW shooting BPCR. Usually had at least 8 to 10 rifles in a rack I built in back. Nothing about it was SHTF. But for a single or even double application I wouldn’t mind the overhead access at all. After seeing it in use year in and year out by good friend its practical. Wish my cab had center posts now that I’m no longer competing. Probably ought to sell my little gun vault.

Attachments

• D2610B6C-B1DD-4A4D-96F3-3695A8FD8C32.jpeg
    D2610B6C-B1DD-4A4D-96F3-3695A8FD8C32.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 16DCECEA-DB39-468C-9366-3744A941BEF2.jpeg
    16DCECEA-DB39-468C-9366-3744A941BEF2.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom