Siamese Mauser 45-70 Super Nitro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a great story, thanks for taking the time to type that out! It’s not my gun but PM your contact info and I will pass it to the owner. That way hopefully you can get first dibs if he chooses to sell it.

Your story helps connect some dots though. The cartridge that it was chambered in was 8x52mm Rimmed Siamese; which would be useless in the US. But the bolt face fits a 45-70 just fine. So they rebarrel it and it fills a nitch market of high powered 45-70s.

This “Super Nitro” thing still has me stumped for now.
I wonder if the super nitro is just due to the time frame. With the rifles being in circulation the first part of 1900, we were in the start of the revolution away from black powder and into nitrocellulose based smokeless powders. It may have simply designated that this was a smokeless 45-70 as opposed to a BP?

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if the super nitro is just due to the time frame. With the rifles being in circulation the first part of 1900, we were in the start of the revolution away from black powder and into nitrocellulose based smokeless powders. It may have simply designated that this was a smokeless 45-70 as opposed to a BP?
i dont know about the nitro express part, but I do remember the good ole days of seeing these and many different conversions of milsurp rifles. good times.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking; just someone’s way of designating it safe for modern and/or hot loads. Just like they were using in the Ruger #1s and Marlins in that time frame.
“Nitro” traditionally signifying it’s rated for modern powders. But as you know there is nothing out there on “Super Nitro” and that’s got me stumped.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a great story, thanks for taking the time to type that out! It’s not my gun but PM your contact info and I will pass it to the owner. That way hopefully you can get first dibs if he chooses to sell it.

Your story helps connect some dots though. The cartridge that it was chambered in was 8x52mm Rimmed Siamese; which would be useless in the US. But the bolt face fits a 45-70 just fine. So they rebarrel it and it fills a nitch market of high powered 45-70s.

This “Super Nitro” thing still has me stumped for now.
Looking at the stamping, it appears the "super nitro" to be done by hand and not machined. The person stamping was very good but the lettering is not consistent which makes me think it was indeed a one-off barrel by a gun maker.
It will be really interesting to see what you find in your measurements of the chamber, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom