Sig 229 40 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnney Fife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am trying to replace the recoil spring and am doing something wrong.
I traded for this gun and it had a very heavy recoil spring[ so heavy I could hardly
rack the slide], ordered a lighter one but now can't get it on or put the old one back on.
Does any have any tips/secrets to help me with.
thanks for any help you can offer

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why did you replace the factory recoil spring? Or was it factory when you traded for it? If it's factory, leave it at the stock weight. You're shooting 40 S&W, it needs that recoil spring weight from the factory to cycle properly and not beat the gun to death.

Barnney Fife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why did you replace the factory recoil spring? Or was it factory when you traded for it? If it's factory, leave it at the stock weight. You're shooting 40 S&W, it needs that recoil spring weight from the factory to cycle properly and not beat the gun to death.
The factory spring is coded blue, this spring was black. I have owned several sigs and none of them have ever had a
recoil anywhere close to as heavy as this one.
I am going to put it back in, it is a bear to do.
thanks for the word of caution.
b

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The factory spring is coded blue, this spring was black. I have owned several sigs and none of them have ever had a
recoil anywhere close to as heavy as this one.
I am going to put it back in, it is a bear to do.
thanks for the word of caution.
b

I've heard of folks using a heavy spring to keep brass from launching into orbit. That may have been what the previous owner was doing. If Blue is factory, I'd stick with factory.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom