Sig GSR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some of you know of my dislike of 1911's.I've had many different brands and all have been less than reliable.I have a friend who wants to do some trading with me for a his GSR.I've heard good things about it and am thinking of trying it.I will be in it right so if I don't like it I can sell it fairly quickly.Anyone have any experience or comments on this pistol?? Steve

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put all sorts of junk .45 through mine, with no problems. I AM selling it, but only because I need to thin the herd of my 1911s. Probably one of the better production 1911s I've ever owned.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a fellow "non-1911" guy, I know where you're coming from. I did buy a GSR though, and it's been flawless. I did a lot of research before I bought one though, and my interpretation of internet opinions and myths are:

- The first generation had problems. They outsourced the all the parts and assembled them in house. Biggest issue was frame pins not in the right location, making repair or upgrade labor intensive.

- Second generation were the best. Problems worked out, and no MIM parts. Not clear how many parts outsourced vs built in house.

- Third (current) generation reliable and accurate, but MIM on controls (grip safety, slide stop, thumb safety, etc...). Reportedly built in house.

No idea how to figure out which generation a particular gun it. Each box will have a sticker with a date. Get that info, and research from there. Sigforum is probably a good place to start.

BigBoreOkie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with one. Only gripe I've ever heard is that the slide is not standard, externally, and some holsters will not fit. I have one, I love it. It is a great 1911. I've owned quite a few Colts, Gold Cups and Commanders, and it beats them in my opinion. It's not a traditional 1911 with the exterior extractor, but it's a great, great gun.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with one. Only gripe I've ever heard is that the slide is not standard, externally, and some holsters will not fit. I have one, I love it. It is a great 1911. I've owned quite a few Colts, Gold Cups and Commanders, and it beats them in my opinion. It's not a traditional 1911 with the exterior extractor, but it's a great, great gun.

Mine has an external extraction. It's an earlier model without a rail.
[Broken External Image]