Sig M11A1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm asking this as just a question and not criticism of any sort so keep that in mind if you care to reply.
I'm curious why this firearm and others are to be sold only to LEO?
When I go to H&H they have ammo only sold if a CLEET card is produced.
I can buy the same ammo online without the CLEET card. I can find factory ammo much hotter than LEO only ammo for sale on the internet or even walmart in some cases or just reload my own that is hotter with acknowledged SD bullets.
I bought some .40 LEO only Ranger ammo a few years back that a buddy picked up for me that is LEO, and it barely makes major power factor in USPSA velocity rules.
It's nothing special, and it doesn't have a magic bullet that outperformed everything else on the market.
I just don't get the LEO only for firearms that are not full auto and the ammo is nothing out of the ordinary.
Again, I'm not wanting to start a crap storm, just wondering why.

I don’t think this is because the guns and or ammo are better or more powerful; I think it’s just a discount, or some kind of a special they are giving to LEOs, and in some cases, MIL and active firefighters etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is the pricing primarily. SIG has their IOP program just like the Glock blue label. In the case of the P229 it's a little different. There was a lot of dislike when SIG changed the specifications of the P229 to the P229-1. It was after Cohen became the boss and SIG went thru a time of many variants such as happened with Kimber. They tried to make a variant of most of their guns to boost sales. The QC also went down for awhile in the SIG line. The P229-1 is a much blockier version of the model. It also has the large external extractor that was developed only to cut cost. It had nothing to do with strength of .40 or .357 SIG. The long time SIG fans really disliked the move from the 228 sized to the new blocky one. An original P229 will fit in a P228 holster but easily fall out of a current P229-1 holster.The younger guys that had little experience with SIG ate up the newer versions with the rails and extreme beaver tails so SIG went away from the classic version except for special runs by distributors. Many of the fans of the classic P-series were people in LE that made purchasing decisions so they kept asking for the original design. The kicker was that in testing by some departments the new P229-1 did not work in some of the standard retention holsters the departments used, something to do with safety. The departments pitched such a fit that SIG provided them with what is now called the Legacy series. SIG had continued limited production of the Legacy P-series in special colors or configurations but they were not very popular because of what was considered the Cohen stamp on them. They were marketed as a "classic carry." The safety factor with some retention holsters drove SIG back to limited production of the Legacy models, most with rails. They marketed those guns primarily to the IOP program or LE purchasing, especially the non-railed version which is essentially a non-slicked down version of the popular SAS models. That is mine, purchased thru the IOP. To an old geezer like me the newer P229-1 feels like picking up a brick compared to the Legacy models. My primary backup to my P229 is a P220 Carry SAS .45 that fits the same P228 holsters I use. I also have a P220 with different color and rail that I use with a light for a house and woods gun. It doesn't carry nearly as well as my legacy models. The M11 is a legacy styled P229 on the -1 platform with some added features.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm asking this as just a question and not criticism of any sort so keep that in mind if you care to reply.
I'm curious why this firearm and others are to be sold only to LEO?
When I go to H&H they have ammo only sold if a CLEET card is produced.
I can buy the same ammo online without the CLEET card. I can find factory ammo much hotter than LEO only ammo for sale on the internet or even walmart in some cases or just reload my own that is hotter with acknowledged SD bullets.
I bought some .40 LEO only Ranger ammo a few years back that a buddy picked up for me that is LEO, and it barely makes major power factor in USPSA velocity rules.
It's nothing special, and it doesn't have a magic bullet that outperformed everything else on the market.
I just don't get the LEO only for firearms that are not full auto and the ammo is nothing out of the ordinary.
Again, I'm not wanting to start a crap storm, just wondering why.

There are several companies that provide LE discounts.

S&W, Glock, Sig Sauer, Kel-Tec, Benchmade to name a few.

I think the programs are geared towards sales. Some departments don’t issue weapons and have an “approved” list of firearms that an officer can purchase with their own funds.

I worked for a department that said I could carry S&W, Colt or Ruger revolvers, calibers .38 to .44 mag and Colt, Ruger, S&W, Glock or Sig Sauer semi-Autos 9mm to .45ACP. The pistol had to be inspected and approved by the range officer and you had to pass qualifications with it.

Rookies generally don’t make much starting out and it helps. Some of these companies may have contracts with bigger departments and to sweeten the deal they add discounts to individual officers.

With Glock, they have the Blue Label Program. The list of qualified persons is on their website. Officers and civilians both can take advantage of the program. If you join GSSF, you can get up to two discounted Glocks per year. The program is frequently abused because BL Glocks are bought at a discounted price and then flipped at full price or more.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an older West German P228. It needs refinishing, but it’s still a very accurate reliable pistol.

I’d like to change the trigger to something a little crisper and shorter reset, and better grips.

Look into getting a short reset trigger kit. I don’t know what the price is or if it’s available for your particular model, but you may be able to send it to Sig for an upgrade. If they sell the kit itself and you have the skills to do it, even better.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
#1 on short reset trigger. Less than $50 I’m pretty sure. Easy to install too. Plenty of good YouTube’s to show how to do. Really makes a difference.

Hogue G10 Piranhas - I slapped a set on mine and like much better than the stock grips. The wooden ones by Hogue are purty, but a little to fat for me. Also, Hogue Alums are nice, and thin too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom