Sig P229 Gets New Leather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the Canute IWB holster from UBG. It’s a pretty common design, this dual spread-loop-thing most all makers do now It has about 20 degrees forward cant. It rides at just the right height to allow a full grip on the pistol. I have bought this same holster for several different pistols now and just like with the others, it just plain works. Nate does something to the way he bends the leather around the pistol he’s building a holster for and he sews it just so; so that the butt of the handgun is nestled comfortably and tightly to your side. The Canute does a fantastic job of holding, securing, and helping conceal your pistol. $65 with a 12% discount if you use “okshooters” at checkout. Are you kidding me? 4-6 week turnaround time? Again...are you kidding me? And for a handmade piece of gear like this? Now I know you gotta be kidding me! What? For real? Well no wonder I own a whole bunch of leather from UBG Holsters!

Man, I have nice leather from Sparks, Kramer TT and others, but Nate is fast becoming as well known as those big dawgs are and for good reason. He just builds a fine piece of leather; a very fine piece indeed.

I could have easily spent a whole lot more but any real difference would be cosmetic. You want the finest in beautifully done hand-detailed work? Go to Mitch Rosen. You want the most copied IWB there is? Speak to Milt Sparks and ask about the VM II. You want leather so exquisitely smooth it feels like the soft, yet firm derrière of a beautiful wom... (well, you get my drift) then go ye to Kevin Nightingale at Nightingaleleather.com. You want uniquely made custom pieces cut and put together by perhaps one of the top 2 or 3 guys to ever make holsters? Seek out Tim Thurner at TTGunleather.com. But when you do seek those fellas out, be sure to take your checkbook!

Now. You want a well-built holster that does its job and looks pretty darn good too? You want to spend 1/2 what those other guys charge? You want a nice discount just cause you are on OSA? How about you need it quicker than 5-6 months? Sounds to me like you need to talk to Nate at ubgholsters.com. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bad review on his gear and for good reason. I am very pleased to add this rig to my stable and it will serve me well carrying my Sig P229 just right. Here’s the obligatory pics; notice how thin the leather is, thus adding very little extra material to have to stuff between you and your pants, yet it is as stiff and firmly made as any holster I’ve got. That’s a good thing.
2ba5cf6721a6c71a9cefc6ff888a6484.jpg

ded22259c2136eef0e7004ba9d9b7176.jpg
b110944b882c23a1c7d6a08282e05d03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most excellent write up and I really like your holster but there's one thing missing. How about a pic of that fine Sig in it?

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most excellent write up and I really like your holster but there's one thing missing. How about a pic of that fine Sig in it?

Now how did I manage to forget that? Oh yes, it must have been a "Senior Moment". I shall take said pic and post same as soon as I can safely creep in to the safe without fear of waking up She Who Must Not Be Disturbed in order to retrieve the Sig for the photo session. Or maybe I'll do it after I get back from the gym and have recovered. Hell, it'll get done sometime today, I hope.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here ya go. Pics to peek at. It is a great fitting holster. No slop, no gaps, no wiggle of the pistol while holstered...yet it does provide as good a level of retention as any IWB I’ve had; in leather anyway. It’s just made very well for a precise fit to the pistol. There are many variations to the Sig P229; I sent a pic of mine to Nate with the specs so he was sure to make it correctly for my particular gun. Me likey.
f4f1033731d1c75626df8e4bfb51c523.jpg
77c61600df0bfbff8145e85f4fff1ab0.jpg
18879e51b79939bec16ff8ac493603e2.jpg

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like it, as far as im concerned you cant beat a nice leather holster:thumb:
Here is one of my favorite 1911 holsters. Wilson combat OWB.View attachment 128858

Simple yet effective. And I like the minimalist design. Does it function as a concealment holster too? From the looks, I’d say it was more for duty use or maybe if the pistol was to be carried afield. It says “I’m a quality piece of gear” if you know how to listen.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, that's what I wanted see. Good cant to get a grip. What color is that? I don't think you've ever had that color have you? Seems to me old Nate is getting better with age. I like it.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just brown? No wonder his holsters are low priced. He needs help in his marketing department. He's gotta come up with fancier names. Geez.... Look at how much money was made by Chrysler when they got Ricardo Montalban' to say "fine Corinthian leather".

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just brown? No wonder his holsters are low priced. He needs help in his marketing department. He's gotta come up with fancier names. Geez.... Look at how much money was made by Chrysler when they got Ricardo Montalban' to say "fine Corinthian leather".

You think Nate could get that little midget dude who comes with Ricardo Montalban to say something like “Look! De holster! De holster!” And then Ricardo says “Welcome...to UBG Holsters”.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom