Sig Sauer M17 Army Pistol with DeltaPoint Pro maybe not so great

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, sounds like there are several points/problems with this pistol that would not let it be considered military reliable/durable. I just wonder how fair/balanced/unbiased the military trials on this pistol were? It sounds like some politician's and/or some military officer's pocketbook got fattened. :nono2: :mad:

Sig Sauer M17 Army Pistol with DeltaPoint Pro
Military Arms Channel
Published on Oct 29, 2018

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sooooo.... what are the several "problems" in your opinion since I didn't see any from the video?

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sooooo.... what are the several "problems" in your opinion since I didn't see any from the video?

If you are a Sig Sauer fan, go for it. I was only going by the problems brought out in the video. IMHO, there were too many for me. I have never been in the service so the following are only my uneducated thoughts on the pistol and its reliability/durability.

The largest number of problems are in the red dot sight(not directly related to pistol but affects the function use of the pistol). Iron sights don’t co-witness with the red dot sights. If you use red dot sights, you lose the iron sights(rear). If you have to replace the battery, you have to take the red dot off the pistol, replace the battery, replace the red dot on the pistol and you lose zero. Red dot sight controls and the sight itself is not robust enough for battle conditions(MHO). The were more, but you can watch the video.

On the pistol itself, this was a brand-new gun with only two magazines through it and the finish is already starting to wear. If the sight plate screw comes lose, it can jam the action(this would be a major concern IMHO). If you lose red dot capability, you have only a point and shoot pistol with no iron sights to fall back on for accurate fire.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are a Sig Sauer fan, go for it. I was only going by the problems brought out in the video. IMHO, there were too many for me. I have never been in the service so the following are only my uneducated thoughts on the pistol and its reliability/durability.

The largest number of problems are in the red dot sight(not directly related to pistol but affects the function use of the pistol). Iron sights don’t co-witness with the red dot sights. If you use red dot sights, you lose the iron sights(rear). If you have to replace the battery, you have to take the red dot off the pistol, replace the battery, replace the red dot on the pistol and you lose zero. Red dot sight controls and the sight itself is not robust enough for battle conditions(MHO). The were more, but you can watch the video.

On the pistol itself, this was a brand-new gun with only two magazines through it and the finish is already starting to wear. If the sight plate screw comes lose, it can jam the action(this would be a major concern IMHO). If you lose red dot capability, you have only a point and shoot pistol with no iron sights to fall back on for accurate fire.

What problems were brought out again? You have coulda, shoulda, woulda..... but no screws fell out or anything of the like. No reports of it during the trials either.

As stated in the video, you can attach a rear site to the DPP. Now I agree with some of the sentiments about these RDS types of platform for LE and Military but let's be real here.... 99.9% of the applications here won't involve a red dot sight. Nothing is set in stone yet in terms of what they will use from what I've seen.

However, how did the gun shoot and was it reliable? Is it easy to service? Does it have modularity?

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What problems were brought out again? You have coulda, shoulda, woulda..... but no screws fell out or anything of the like. No reports of it during the trials either.

As stated in the video, you can attach a rear site to the DPP. Now I agree with some of the sentiments about these RDS types of platform for LE and Military but let's be real here.... 99.9% of the applications here won't involve a red dot sight. Nothing is set in stone yet in terms of what they will use from what I've seen.

However, how did the gun shoot and was it reliable? Is it easy to service? Does it have modularity?

Like I said before, "If you are a Sig Sauer fan, go for it". Only time will tell if the pistol is a good serviceable, reliable, durable weapon. The pistol just doesn't "trip my trigger" as being something that I would really like for myself. And as pointed out in the video, the pistol isn't exactly "flying off the shelf" in the gun store from which it was obtained. I would think the demand would be much higher if the public really liked it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said before, "If you are a Sig Sauer fan, go for it". Only time will tell if the pistol is a good serviceable, reliable, durable weapon. The pistol just doesn't "trip my trigger" as being something that I would really like for myself. And as pointed out in the video, the pistol isn't exactly "flying off the shelf" in the gun store from which it was obtained. I would think the demand would be much higher if the public really liked it.

Whether I like it or not isn't the question. You questioned it reliability and durability and made assumptions as to why it won the military trials per the video. The video showed some criticisms about RDS platforms in general and some coulda shoulda woulda.... in which MAC is known to do. Some of it comes to fruition, some doesn't. He DOES get very testy if he's ever corrected. Still like his videos though. However, I didn't see any reliability problems and they do shoot very well. Better than a Glock or Beretta and probably equal to an FN by my experience of owning all of them at one point. Either way, I'm not sure what the sales are and one anecdote doesn't constitute fact but he also said the P320 has a huge following.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sig has made some good pistols. I like the older West German pistols better. I’m not a fan of hanging lights, lasers and other battery operated stuff on my pistols.

Time will tell if it succeeds or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom