Sig wins Next Gen Squad Weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickt300

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 277 Fury is a case similar in size to the 308 and the weight savings comes from the case having a steel casehead. What we are seeing is a modernized version of the M14 or a rifle similar in size and shape to a AR10. Ammo bulk and recoil will make it less easy to carry and shoot.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/277-sig-fury-demystified/

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I have some concerns about the cartridge, 80,000 psi to get 270 ballistics out of a short barrel. You can bet it will be one loud son of a gun and barrel life will be short. Recoil will be up there pretty close to the 308. Ammo will be both bulkier and heavier than the 5.56.
I have zero concerns about it. If you have any idea of the ropes gone through for this, you'd have no concerns either. All guns are loud but this is suppressed. Barrel life is supposed to be the same as current and so far, it seems that way. Have you fired one? Recoil ain't sh*t. I disagree with the 6.8, I think they should have gone to a 6.5 but whatever.

M4's will not be going away anytime soon. This will go to fighting troops - Infantry and Rangers and SF if they want it. You might see direct support individuals assigned to Infantry BNs get it. This and the Squad Fire Control are part of the same package and the cost and numbers don't add up beyond direct warfighter numbers.

So all y'alls m4's and 5.56 is safe for now.

Edit:
https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/277-Sig-Public-Introduction-Orig-2020-11-11.pdf

Last edited:

Rickt300

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have zero concerns about it. If you have any idea of the ropes gone through for this, you'd have no concerns either. All guns are loud but this is suppressed. Barrel life is supposed to be the same as current and so far, it seems that way. Have you fired one? Recoil ain't sh*t. I disagree with the 6.8, I think they should have gone to a 6.5 but whatever.

M4's will not be going away anytime soon. This will go to fighting troops - Infantry and Rangers and SF if they want it. You might see direct support individuals assigned to Infantry BNs get it. This and the Squad Fire Control are part of the same package and the cost and numbers don't add up beyond direct warfighter numbers.

So all y'alls m4's and 5.56 is safe for now.
So 80K psi is not going to reduce barrel life? Think for a minute are you trying to say a 270 running at 15K psi more than usual is going to have an extended barrel life using full auto? Recoil "ain't sh't" because the guns are between 9 and 16 pounds. How much weight do the suppressors add to the weapon? Have you noticed that choice in the weapon one carries in the military is not the individuals unless he is actually in special forces? Even then the makeup of squad firepower is pretty set. I just don't see this system being a big success though I can see where it would be useful in some situations. Still ammunition bulk is a big problem.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 80K psi is not going to reduce barrel life? Think for a minute are you trying to say a 270 running at 15K psi more than usual is going to have an extended barrel life using full auto? Recoil "ain't sh't" because the guns are between 9 and 16 pounds. How much weight do the suppressors add to the weapon? Have you noticed that choice in the weapon one carries in the military is not the individuals unless he is actually in special forces? Even then the makeup of squad firepower is pretty set. I just don't see this system being a big success though I can see where it would be useful in some situations. Still ammunition bulk is a big problem.
Nah. You know they have this thing called technology right? They are able to make things last longer. BTW, nobody shoots a rifle full auto except in certain situations. That's why they have MGs. That's also why the MG in this program is the automatic rifle part. FYI, SF carries whatever the Army gives them 98% of the time.

You make it sound like these dudes just made something up that's unobtanium and then duped the government. That's not how Acquisition works. The requirements spawned from soldiers asking for a larger caliber. If you have some inside knowledge or are an ACQ professional, by all means. I have my ACQ creds and I know how the system works. You know there are people that do this thing called engineering for a living in the GOV and in these companies and they've been doing it awhile. Along with User Evals and Touch-points, they would have sh*tcanned this system if any of that was negative and not fixable. There will be more I'm sure now that the winner has been down-selected but that will just make a better product for the fellas. I am sure some forum engineer/SME knows best though-there are plenty here.

Sounds like you have carried some firepower in no-man's land. 7-8

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only real concern I have at the moment is the inevitable supply/resupply issues during high operation tempo. Know that things are better now, but **** happens.
Why do you think Sig is making ammo? in AR? I don't think supply is an issue and I bet there are lots waiting acceptance as we write this.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do you think Sig is making ammo? in AR? I don't think supply is an issue and I bet there are lots waiting acceptance as we write this.
True, just past experience with needing critical supplies from Uncle Sam and not being able to get them due to growing pains in the chain. It eventually works its self out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom