Sig wins Next Gen Squad Weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's an interesting technology SIG came up with on that cartridge.
With that steel portion of the brass, I'm wondering if the military version will be reloadable, or will the Fury be the only version released to non military markets?
SIG makes some good stuff. I've recently started using their brass on some calibers I reload for and own several of their pistols.
It also appears they are entering into the primer market. Hopefully they add enough manufacturing to contribute to the civilian market while sustaining their military commitment.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have zero concerns about it. If you have any idea of the ropes gone through for this, you'd have no concerns either. All guns are loud but this is suppressed. Barrel life is supposed to be the same as current and so far, it seems that way. Have you fired one? Recoil ain't sh*t. I disagree with the 6.8, I think they should have gone to a 6.5 but whatever.

M4's will not be going away anytime soon. This will go to fighting troops - Infantry and Rangers and SF if they want it. You might see direct support individuals assigned to Infantry BNs get it. This and the Squad Fire Control are part of the same package and the cost and numbers don't add up beyond direct warfighter numbers.

So all y'alls m4's and 5.56 is safe for now.

Edit:
https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/277-Sig-Public-Introduction-Orig-2020-11-11.pdf
Sig claims a 12k barrel life. Possible, I seem to remember Kyle defoor pushing 20k in a daniel defense carbine before the throat eroded. Their was an article years back when the spc was developed, they tried multiple combinations, 6.5 shoots flatter and 7mm had better terminal ballistics so they split the difference and went 6.8 as best as I remember.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's an interesting technology SIG came up with on that cartridge.
With that steel portion of the brass, I'm wondering if the military version will be reloadable, or will the Fury be the only version released to non military markets?
SIG makes some good stuff. I've recently started using their brass on some calibers I reload for and own several of their pistols.
It also appears they are entering into the primer market. Hopefully they add enough manufacturing to contribute to the civilian market while sustaining their military commitment.

Sounds like Lake City is doing a big expansion to produce the 6.8x51 ammunition.

Sig produces ammunition in Jackson, AR from what I read.

Rickt300

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nah. You know they have this thing called technology right? They are able to make things last longer. BTW, nobody shoots a rifle full auto except in certain situations. That's why they have MGs. That's also why the MG in this program is the automatic rifle part. FYI, SF carries whatever the Army gives them 98% of the time.

You make it sound like these dudes just made something up that's unobtanium and then duped the government. That's not how Acquisition works. The requirements spawned from soldiers asking for a larger caliber. If you have some inside knowledge or are an ACQ professional, by all means. I have my ACQ creds and I know how the system works. You know there are people that do this thing called engineering for a living in the GOV and in these companies and they've been doing it awhile. Along with User Evals and Touch-points, they would have sh*tcanned this system if any of that was negative and not fixable. There will be more I'm sure now that the winner has been down-selected but that will just make a better product for the fellas. I am sure some forum engineer/SME knows best though-there are plenty here.

Sounds like you have carried some firepower in no-man's land. 7-8
The point I am making is the SAW version is low on firepower when fielded as a one man weapon. 50 rounds is not even 2 30 round M4 magazines. A SAW gunner needs to be able to put out a lot of suppressive fire, the more accurate the better. Military weapons are often chosen because of the bennies the company offers the politicians who can make the sale happen. True it is not a heavy weapon but the ammo is as bulky as the 7.62 NATO round and only 30% lighter. Belt fed it has the same limitations the M60 did having to be crew served. The M60 worked OK as a machine gun but not as a SAW, it sucked because of the number of guys it took to feed it. That meant possibly three soldiers close together making for a good sized target. No weapon system has ever come online without problems. I am not sold on the cartridge case being two part and different metals simply because of the expense of making the ammo and possible durability issues. As for the 277 Fury itself, have been a long time fan of the old standard 270. Same for the 308. I wouldn't consider either of them perfect for the SAW role.

The M60 is a belt-fed machine gun that fires the 7.62×51mm NATO cartridge (similar to .308 Winchester), commonly used in larger rifles. It is generally used as a crew-served weapon and operated by a team of two or three individuals. The team consists of the gunner, the assistant gunner (AG), and the ammunition bearer. The gun's weight and the amount of ammunition it can consume when fired make it difficult for a single soldier to carry and operate. The gunner carries the weapon and, depending on his strength and stamina, anywhere from 200 to 1,000 rounds of ammunition. The assistant carries a spare barrel and extra ammunition, and reloads and spots targets for the gunner. The ammunition bearer carries additional ammunition and the tripod with associated traversing and elevation mechanism, if issued, and fetches more ammunition as needed during firing.

I admit to liking the rifle version for the designated marksman role which both the AR10 and M14 have also done well in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom