Sighting in a muzzle loader

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok going to sight mine in this weekend I always have hell with shooting it at a hundred yards cause I can’t get it to pattern the way I want or think it should be at 50 yds I’m good. So with that being said can I just sight it in at fifty and just a little high or maybe dead on?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I start at 25 with scopes or about 12 with iron sights on a mz lrd. When you can shoot a cloverleaf at those distances, check at 75 or 100. Many I see at the range can't shoot a group with their new gun and need help to sight in at short range first, maybe practice some before trying 100yds.
Be sure to use the right bullet for the gun barrel twist and don't load it so hot it won't group.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I start at 25 with scopes or about 12 with iron sights on a mz lrd. When you can shoot a cloverleaf at those distances, check at 75 or 100. Many I see at the range can't shoot a group with their new gun and need help to sight in at short range first, maybe practice some before trying 100yds.
Be sure to use the right bullet for the gun barrel twist and don't load it so hot it won't group.
I do this, and then when I'm fine tuning it at 100 I clean the barrel and let it cool between each shot. I also shoot a primer after each shot to keep the breach plug hole clean and burn off any unburned powder. After the last shot at the range I clean it again just like I did before I took the last shot. Then it's ready for loading for the hunt. Not sure if all this is necessary, or maybe not enough, but it has worked fine for me. If you zero at 50, I would at least see what it does at some different yardages that you may be shooting from.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess what I’m trying to say is can I sight it in at 50 yds and be good at a 100 yds
No. You will be low at 100. Exactly how much off depends on the specific gun, sights, bullet, and load. Guessing does not cut it.
Better to sight closer and then check and fine tune at the maximum distances you plan to shoot. The max distance you can hit a paper plate every shot is your max ethical hunting distance for deer.

Last edited:

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. You will be low at 100. Exactly how much off depends on the specific gun, sights, bullet, and load. Guessing does not cut it.
Better to sight closer and then check and fine tune at the maximum distances you plan to shoot. The max distance you can hit a paper plate every shot is your max ethical hunting distance for deer.
I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards I guess I’m expecting to have groups like a center fire

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do this, and then when I'm fine tuning it at 100 I clean the barrel and let it cool between each shot. I also shoot a primer after each shot to keep the breach plug hole clean and burn off any unburned powder. After the last shot at the range I clean it again just like I did before I took the last shot. Then it's ready for loading for the hunt. Not sure if all this is necessary, or maybe not enough, but it has worked fine for me. If you zero at 50, I would at least see what it does at some different yardages that you may be shooting from.
What are you cleaning it with after every shot? Do you remove the breach plug and clean?

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you cleaning it with after every shot? Do you remove the breach plug and clean?
Yes, I remove the plug and run two or three cleaning patches through the barrel. Might be overkill, I just like to shoot it and zero it in the condition it will be in when/if there is a big buck in my crosshairs, with a cool barrel and clean bore.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I remove the plug and run two or three cleaning patches through the barrel. Might be overkill, I just like to shoot it and zero it in the condition it will be in when/if there is a big buck in my crosshairs, with a cool barrel and clean bore.
Not oil correct? I use triple 7 powder so I usually run a patch dampened with water or isopropyl alchohol

Latest posts

Top Bottom