Sighting in a muzzle loader

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
B4046321-CEC2-4D9C-A09D-B09880282BA5.jpeg
This is what I’m shooting the gun is an older cva wolf not sure of the twist in the barrel

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always used powder never pellets.
Can't use pellets on a side lock. unless you add powder under the nipple.

I think the wolf is 1:28 twist.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a muzzle loader, stead hold factors are super important. Plus, holding it on target after you pull the trigger. Make sure you are pulling it tightly into your shoulder.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you use loose powder you can tamp the gun with your hand on the side about 8 times with muzzle up.
This will settle the powder right under the nipple and NO more hang fires.
When I stick in my first load for the hunt using my side lock I will tamp the gun to settle the powder then seat the bullet.
No jackhammering.. just even pressure to seat it. Then i pull the nipple to make sure powder is right there. If it is not I will add some there. then apply nipple and apply primer.
Shoots like a regular rifle.
No Pop Boom.
An old bearded gent showed me that many years ago when I was having ignition issues and the Pop ....BOOM.

I know people that use loose powder under their disc powder and have great results.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny story:
I had a heavy barreled .45 built on an Encore frame years ago that would shoot <1/2 moa groups with regularity at 200yds using a 200gr saboted bullet and 100gr 777 on light winded days. (Lot of work done to the rifle to get it to shoot this well)

One day I decided to shoot a doe off the wheat field at 160yds. While shooting prone with no noticeable cross wind, the same way as the gun was zeroed, the bullet impact was 18” to the right. She ran 200yds and required a another round.

Up until that day I would leave the rifle loaded for up to 3 days or until something came along to shoot. After the rifle would sit, and probably rust, it wouldn’t shoot for nothing. Although when clean, the rifle would go back to shooting tiny groups. Sold the rifle as quick as possible and built a smokeless muzzleloder. Went back to shooting my ML every 3 days to prevent a ftf and still shoots tiny groups.

Latest posts

Top Bottom