Signing Up For Social Security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys ... Look here ...

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/art...get Social Security,matter how much you earn.
My full retirement age is 66 years, 7 months. I will be 65 in 2 weeks (literally lol) so ... from the site:

We use the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits:

• If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.
For 2023 that limit is $21,240.

With that info I can earn $21,239 before they start dinging me -- and I will have to pay back $1 of social security payment for every $2 I earn.

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you’ve got some underlying health conditions, I’d recommend you wait until your full retirement age. If you can wait until you turn 70. Each year you wait beyond full retirement age you’ll get an additional 8% In benefit dollars.

That's good advice for a lot of people, but not everyone, as you pointed out.

In my case, I'll start losing money at 79 years and 9 months by taking it at 62 vs 67. I'll take it now because 5 years is a crap shoot at this age...when things, like hearts and blood vessels in the brain, just stop working.

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well leave it to me to screw up a "simple process". I have to wait and get a letter with a verification code because they can't verify my phone number to send it to me in a text. Jiminy Christmas!

Yeah... That's pretty standard. I did that, too, because I changed phones from the time I created my account until the time I filed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom