Signing Up For Social Security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My social security benefits are below average because my best earning years was as a police officer working for a city. We didn't pay social security because of the way our retirement was set up. The good news is I avoided the government taking my money. The bad news is those were some of my best earning years and really negatively affected my benefit amount.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah... That's pretty standard. I did that, too, because I changed phones from the time I created my account until the time I filed.
I've had the same damn phone number for several years. If something can screw up using technology it will screw up with me.

Between dealing with insurance and now this, I am fed up with it all. I have to deal with incompetence and glitchy software enough when I'm at work.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My social security benefits are below average because my best earning years was as a police officer working for a city. We didn't pay social security because of the way our retirement was set up. The good news is I avoided the government taking my money. The bad news is those were some of my best earning years and really negatively affected my benefit amount.

I don't recall if Grumpy got a say at DPS. All I know is he paid in a **** ton of money over the years. He won't be 62 for 4 more years?? I think?? Hmmmm ... 🤦🤷

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I applied for mine about 3 weeks ago. Will turn 70 in April which is when I want it to start. My understanding is waiting after 70 makes you nothing, it's the max.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I applied for mine about 3 weeks ago. Will turn 70 in April which is when I want it to start. My understanding is waiting after 70 makes you nothing, it's the max.
I pulled mine yesterday and the difference between 62 and 65 is over $1k difference and then from 65 to 70 is a little over $800. So according to my chart you are right. 70 was my highest with nothing over that.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check online to confirm the starting date you requested.
I applied for MedB and they gave me the wrong starting date. Then I applied for SS retirement, and they gave me the wrong start date for that too. Mind boggling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom