Signing Up For Social Security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My social security benefits are below average because my best earning years was as a police officer working for a city. We didn't pay social security because of the way our retirement was set up. The good news is I avoided the government taking my money. The bad news is those were some of my best earning years and really negatively affected my benefit amount.
Been there doing that.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
QUESTION?????
I'll be 62 soon. Should I get it now or wait until 65/67/69??

GO

I would say take it now.

That said, I don't think there is a right answer for everybody.

For example, if Grumpy had not convinced me to marry him, I would still have a house payment, along with my living expenses (utilities, groceries, insurance, etc.) so it wouldn't be feasible to retire outright. (If I made less than the threshold then it is possible I could have taken Social Security (and made quarterly payments to cover the extra cost in taxes) and maybe have come out a little ahead.) It would have depended on the job I had (likely would have still been at the state agency I was with when he and I met).

As it is for us now, it actually adds a sizeable amount of income to our bottom line -- with no increase in our tax bill (we didn't get bumped to the tax bracket) -- so it made sense for me to take early "retirement".

So it's a not so simple, simple question. 🤷

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does retirement look these days with a military retirement and civil service retirement (FERS)?

I’m 55 with 14 years government service but with each day I’m closer and closer to pulling the trigger and moving on from my government job. I have worked since I was 16 and have no idea what life would be like without working but I feel like I would get used to that lifestyle pretty quickly.

We are considering selling our house and moving into a 55 and over community if the wife’s job goes away. Am I fooling myself thinking about retirement?

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
QUESTION?????
I'll be 62 soon. Should I get it now or wait until 65/67/69??

GO
The break even age is approx 83. If you have chronic health issues might want to take at 62. If you expect to live past 83 take it at full retirement age of 67. If you are healthy but need the $, take it at 62. If healthy & don’t need the cash take at 67.

Latest posts

Top Bottom