Signing Up For Social Security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still deciding if I'll take it at 65 or my 66 & 8mos for full amount. One downside to waiting is you'll have to pay the medicare part B premiums every quarter if you don't take your SS for them to deduct it from. Gonna have to decide here in the next few months as it will be time to sign up for medicare

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say take it now.

That said, I don't think there is a right answer for everybody.

For example, if Grumpy had not convinced me to marry him, I would still have a house payment, along with my living expenses (utilities, groceries, insurance, etc.) so it wouldn't be feasible to retire outright. (If I made less than the threshold then it is possible I could have taken Social Security (and made quarterly payments to cover the extra cost in taxes) and maybe have come out a little ahead.) It would have depended on the job I had (likely would have still been at the state agency I was with when he and I met).

As it is for us now, it actually adds a sizeable amount of income to our bottom line -- with no increase in our tax bill (we didn't get bumped to the tax bracket) -- so it made sense for me to take early "retirement".

So it's a not so simple, simple question. 🤷
This ^^^^.
I believe there are like a hundred and one different scenarios that apply to different people and their own situations.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did listen to the video posted. No real information and then a pitch for a workshop.

Maybe no real info for you but not everybody knows even the basics of how social security works. Everybody has to start somewhere. I used to play similar videos for new clients. It gave them a place to start asking questions from when they didn't know where to start. Saved me a TON of time ... And therefore money. 🤷

Latest posts

Top Bottom