Signing Up For Social Security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I signed up for medicare when i turned 65 simply cause i didnt want to pay the penalty that you have to pay if you dont and it stays with you forever and didnt take out a sub for persciption til a couple of months ago cause i wasnt aware of another penalty on that if you dont so i have to pay a additional 24 something a year i beleive now because i held off and will pay that forever also. Im fairly healthy only going to a doc every 3 or 4 years for something minor and getting 1 prec then so at first i wasnt going to sign up cause i could pay out of pocket cheaper but wife talked me into going ahead.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there's one silver lining to having a life-long injury from military service it's not having to use MediCare. So far, I'm pretty pleased with the care I've had from the VA. Community Care, on the other hand, is quite possibly the most worthless organization on the planet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing one needs to consider retirement at 62 is your health insurance to carry you over until 65 when Medicare kicks in. Obamacare will put a serious dent in your SS if you don’t have a pension, retirement 401K or investments.
Wife had to pay $1100 a month for a policy that had a $10,000 deductible. Cheapest one available at our income level.
There are adjustments in obamacare dependent on your income though.
You can’t keep your plan and you can’t keep your doctor like that lying SOB obummer said many times when you retire.
Definitely take the money at 62. It doesn’t take much pencil lead to sit down and calculate how much money overall you will be ahead vs waiting until 70.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there's one silver lining to having a life-long injury from military service it's not having to use MediCare. So far, I'm pretty pleased with the care I've had from the VA. Community Care, on the other hand, is quite possibly the most worthless organization on the planet.

Nope. Nope, I can assure you it is CIGNA ... 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep Medicare although I get 99% of my healthcare from the VA for service connected injuries. The reason I keep Medicare is we are on the road 6-7 months out of the year in the RV.
There are locations we visit that do not offer VA facilities, so the Medicare kicks in if needed. In the 5 years we have been on the road, I’ve used Medicare 0 times, but it’s an insurance policy in the back pocket if the worst happens.
I 100% agree the community care program that was originally put in place by Obama and tuned by Trump is an abject failure. The level of care by the private providers pales to what the OKC VA provides because the va pays Doctors less than Medicare. A lot of Doctors won’t take Medicare patients because it doesn’t cover their expenses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom