SilencerCo SparrowSS, Ruger 10/22, Ruger BX-25 Test and Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We shot about 800 rounds through the Sparrow today. Didn't get nearly as dirty as I had hoped it would. Still as easy to take apart as it was when it was new, but I did expect that. The design is awesome. We did all the firing on a Ruger 10/22 and the gun gets nasty and stops working before the can does. A good shake out was good enough for the suppressor, but the gun is so greased up now it isn't really working.

I intended to shoot two full bricks of ammo, but with the magazine and rifle troubles I cut it short before I got too frustrated. The ammo was Winchester 555 value packs. Decent ammo. I still prefer the Federal bulk .22, but it was better than Remington's Golden Bullet packs. That ammo is some of the worst .22 LR ammo I've ever used.

We also took this opportunity to test the new Ruger BX-25 magazine for the 10/22. Sadly, it didn't perform any better than any of the other hi-cap 10/22 mags I've ever used. It just doesn't work well. I may have gotten a bad one, but I probably won't be buying any more of them to find out. It just ran poorly. We had no runs through this mag without at least one failure. After about 15 loadings we had to limit it to 20 rounds just to get it to work decently. I'm going to blame the failure of this magazine on the constant force spring that in my opinion is the problem with every other high capacity mag for the 10/22. They really should move to a coil spring design similar to that used in the Black Dog Machine mags for the AR-15 platform .22 rifles. My brother's Tac-Sol .22 upper and BDM mags works flawlessly round after round. My 10/22 does with the 10 round rotary mags, but the BX-25 didn't win my heart today.

Thanks for watching the video. I hope to start doing more stuff like this in the future with suppressors. I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy a little fun/non scientific testing and demonstration now and again.

i306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Class_203_20Designs_20LLC_c504709e.jpg

i306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Class_203_20Designs_20LLC_6fd0ffc6.jpg

i306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Class_203_20Designs_20LLC_9234c0ce.jpg

i306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Class_203_20Designs_20LLC_897b811d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nice vid. I like the design of the sparrow. I would like to see some reviews of 7.62 cans myself.
What do you think of the Aguila SSS Sniper 60grain? I havent had a chance to use it yet... is it a good buy?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We also took this opportunity to test the new Ruger BX-25 magazine for the 10/22. Sadly, it didn't perform any better than any of the other hi-cap 10/22 mags I've ever used. It just doesn't work well. I may have gotten a bad one, but I probably won't be buying any more of them to find out. It just ran poorly. We had no runs through this mag without at least one failure. After about 15 loadings we had to limit it to 20 rounds just to get it to work decently. I'm going to blame the failure of this magazine on the constant force spring that in my opinion is the problem with every other high capacity mag for the 10/22. They really should move to a coil spring design similar to that used in the Black Dog Machine mags for the AR-15 platform .22 rifles. My brother's Tac-Sol .22 upper and BDM mags works flawlessly round after round. My 10/22 does with the 10 round rotary mags, but the BX-25 didn't win my heart today.

Sorry to hear that the mag did not work out for you.

What do you think of the Aguila SSS Sniper 60grain? I havent had a chance to use it yet... is it a good buy?

You might want to shoot some without your suppressor to check stability. The SSS is a very long round and the twist of most .22 barrels will not stablilize it. This can cause baffle strikes in your suppressor. Shoot some rounds without your suppressor at 25yds and check the target for keyholing.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that the mag did not work out for you.

You might want to shoot some without your suppressor to check stability. The SSS is a very long round and the twist of most .22 barrels will not stablilize it. This can cause baffle strikes in your suppressor. Shoot some rounds without your suppressor at 25yds and check the target for keyholing.

That's what I was afraid of...

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhhh quit playing with me!! Im trying to get the paperwork done as quick as I can! my finger print appt got pushed back to oct 13th.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom