"Silencers for Hunting" legislation in Oklahoma!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im hunting deer this year with a suppressed 308. Not a dang thing anyone can do either... My tribal card and the fact my lease is tribal land... well... <evil grin>

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
because the one you asked may not be the same one that stops and arrests you.

Im not worried about it

And because his response differs from the Department of Wildlife....

who ever responded to that email needs to read there own regs. In the General Hunting Regulations it states the hogs are NOT wildlife

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not worried about it

who ever responded to that email needs to read there own regs. In the General Hunting Regulations it states the hogs are NOT wildlife
But hog hunting is regulated by the ongoing wildlife season... So if you are hunting hog during duck season, and its illegal to hunt duck with a silencer,... guess what.... ;)

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Where are you reading that? I can't find it....From the General Regs: "Silencers: Silencers may not be used to hunt game animals, game or nongame birds"

So therefore it doesn't matter if they consider hogs "Wildlife" it matters if they consider them "Game".

Since hogs have legal shooting hours, license requirements and written legal methods of taking, it seems they classify them as game animals....at least on public property.

One thing is for sure, if folks ever hope to get silencers legalized, the way to do it is to work to change the regs, not just thumb their nose at the regs and ignore it.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to start talking with my congressman about authoring a bill. It would be nice for the people such as ourselves, that are educated in both hunting and suppressors to start a list of benefits to hunting with suppressors as well as (maybe more importantly) a list of myths associated with suppressors.

Shooting hogs and varmints sounds like a no brainer to me. It will take some doing to convince people that using a suppressor for deer is practical. I think a lot falls on the idea that once someone attaches it to their firearm, they can and will do something illegal. I try to tell people that that isn't the case because of the penalties in place if a suppressor is used illegally.

Would anyone be willing to pay for a lifetime license that would allow hunting with a suppressor? If the state could see some revenue off of it, it might be easier to pass.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But hog hunting is regulated by the ongoing wildlife season... So if you are hunting hog during duck season, and its illegal to hunt duck with a silencer,... guess what.... ;)

Its only regulated by the ongoing season on public land, Im talking about private.

Hogs may be taken year-round on private land during daylight hours with the landowner’s permission.
The pursuit of feral hogs with a shotgun on private property is not restricted by shot size.

Where are you reading that? I can't find it....From the General Regs: "Silencers: Silencers may not be used to hunt game animals, game or nongame birds"

One thing is for sure, if folks ever hope to get silencers legalized, the way to do it is to work to change the regs, not just thumb their nose at the regs and ignore it.

Its under shotgun pellet size. It states that Hogs are not wildlife. Im not thumbing my nose and ignoring anything. I asked the County GW where I hunt if I could shoot a hog on private land with a silencer and he said yes.

On private land there is no license requirement or written legal means of taking unless you are hunting during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season

Again Im only talking about hunting on Private land.

And for the legal hunting hours, all it takes is a phone call for a night shooting permit for hogs

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its under shotgun pellet size. It states that Hogs are not wildlife. Im not thumbing my nose and ignoring anything. I asked the County GW where I hunt if I could shoot a hog on private land with a silencer and he said yes.

Found it thanks....but what about whether they are classified as "Game" for the purposes of the specific prohibition of taking game with a silencer? That doesn't seem to be a prohibition specific to public land only.

What happens on private land can sure stay on private land, especially if the local warden isn't concerened about it, but there is an obvious conflict between what the warden is saying and what his HQ is saying....I'd be concerned about that.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its only regulated by the ongoing season on public land, Im talking about private.

On private land there is no license requirement or written legal means of taking unless you are hunting during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season

Again Im only talking about hunting on Private land.

And for the legal hunting hours, all it takes is a phone call for a night shooting permit for hogs

Feral hogs? No such thing on my private land. They are my own tame hogs that happened to have gotten loose. Therefore I can round up, capture or kill them anyway I see fit. :rubhands:

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That doesn't seem to be a prohibition specific to public land only.

I may be wrong but this is how I read it. On public land you can only hunt hogs during an open hunting season and only using methods allowed during that season. Since silenced rifles are not an allowed method of harvest for any season then you cant use them for hogs. On private land there is no season, no approved method of harvest, no requirement to even have a license or hunter safety card.

Latest posts

Top Bottom