Silencers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would refer you back to the National Firearms Act of 1934. We can thank the gansters of the 30's for that little inconvience. Before that law was enacted, anyone could order a Thompson Submachinegun from a Sears Roebuck catalog and have the postman deliver it to your house.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The simple answer is FDR wanted to ban silencers entirely along with just about everything except common rifles and shotguns. Pistols were going to be treated the same as machine guns and silencers, but pistols were pulled from the bill to ensure passage. FDR (and cronies) thought the pesky 2nd Amendment would be a problem in court since they were having enough problems with other legislation already. Simple solution: tax them out of existence instead of a ban.

The current $200 transfer tax hasn't changed since 1934. That was back when a nice Thompson subgun sold new for $25-30 and a good Maxim silencer would have been only a few dollars. At least inflation has been good for something...

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would refer you back to the National Firearms Act of 1934. We can thank the gansters of the 30's for that little inconvience. Before that law was enacted, anyone could order a Thompson Submachinegun from a Sears Roebuck catalog and have the postman deliver it to your house.

A gangster could still afford a $200 tax stamp...the thousands of veterans of World War I who marched on Washington in 1933 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army) could not.

They didn't make the law in the 20's when organized crime was in its prime, banking on bootlegging and speakeasy money, they waited until poor and forgotten veterans had a legitimate need and grievance.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A gangster could still afford a $200 tax stamp...the thousands of veterans of World War I who marched on Washington in 1933 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army) could not.

They didn't make the law in the 20's when organized crime was in its prime, banking on bootlegging and speakeasy money, they waited until poor and forgotten veterans had a legitimate need and grievance.

GCA 35 had nothing to do with the bonus army. Or is there some wierd connection I am missing? Is this like when Walter is tossing Donny's ashes out to sea and starts talking about Nam?

"Jesus, Walter. Not everything revolves around Nam."

Latest posts

Top Bottom