Silly debate my son and I had

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Edmond Crest would be my choice. Could seal off the windows and doors with end caps and heavy items. Plus the up stairs area would be the sleeping area and you could shoot down on the zombies if they got in.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can be burned out in a building.
When the electric goes off all that refrigerated food will get to smelling pretty bad.
Water will probably be turned off and you can poop in just so many buckets and kitty litter to cover the smell will go just so far.

Burned out would be my concern.

I ran away from home when I was an early teen and dug a hole underground with a spoon and made a trap door over the top like a trap door spider makes.
People were all looking for me and the cops also.

No one ever found me ..I got salmonella from eating an under cooked snapping turtle.
Had to go home as I felt like I was dying made it 2 weeks though by myself with some fishing line and a hook and some matches and a knife.

I am bugging out and going under ground.
You really do not need to eat a lot of food.
A lot of food is nice but not needed.
I survived on perch and frogs.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can be burned out in a building.
When the electric goes off all that refrigerated food will get to smelling pretty bad.
Water will probably be turned off and you can poop in just so many buckets and kitty litter to cover the smell will go just so far.

Burned out would be my concern.

I ran away from home when I was an early teen and dug a hole underground with a spoon and made a trap door over the top like a trap door spider makes.
People were all looking for me and the cops also.

No one ever found me ..I got salmonella from eating an under cooked snapping turtle.
Had to go home as I felt like I was dying made it 2 weeks though by myself with some fishing line and a hook and some matches and a knife.

I am bugging out and going under ground.
You really do not need to eat a lot of food.
A lot of food is nice but not needed.
I survived on perch and frogs.

Some valid concerns, but already thought of them.

Food: all perishable food would be cooked and eaten (if gotten to before the electricity goes out) and/or preserved, otherwise would be tossed quickly.
Water can be replaced with rain catchers and barrels. Plus, water can be recycled by using sand and charcoal filters (charcoal is easy to make if you know how). If a wal-mart is taken over before the utilities go I would find any pools they have in the back and setup a few then fill them with water. Maybe rig up a solar system to power the pumps and circulate the water to prevent algae and bacterial growth.

Have you ever been in the back of a wal-mart and seen how much kitty litter they stock? Urine can be collected in bottles and then poured down a sewer pipe. Solid waste collected in scoopable kitty litter, then tossed outside to either dry into dust and blow away or washed away in the rain. You can also setup a burn barrel away from the building and burn it, might not smell the greatest but would help to keep mosquitos away.

As far as burning, we are talking about a metal and brick building, not much to burn from the outside.

But yes, being in a building does mean you can be trapped if a big enough group wants what you have, but thats why I liked the idea of setting up a shooting area from the roof for defense.

Not saying you are wrong, just offering my view points as to how I would make it work.

Another idea I had (and yes I stole it from The Walking Dead) was to find a prison and try to use it. They already have defensive points setup, double fence with razor wire, plenty of room, a kitchen and medical facilities. Would just have to figure out how to get all the doors open.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you survive the fire and have not burned up all the supplies or building it may be an even better hide out as many would look elsewhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom