Silver tipped Ammo. Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Winchester Silvertips was the Ammo everyone had to have before the Black Talons came along. In the early eighties we were issued .357 Silvertips as duty ammo. When I went through the transition course and started carrying a semi-auto I was issued .45 Silvertips. I think I still have a few rounds of each buried on the shelf in the gun cave.
So the silvertips fragment or mushroom like cd ammo? I just never shot anything silver tipped and had no idea the purpose.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the silvertips fragment or mushroom like cd ammo? I just never shot anything silver tipped and had no idea the purpose.

Exactly.

They were the GoldDot and HST of the 80s. It was the ammo that "failed" in the famous Miami shootout in the mid 80s. Federal Hydra-Shock surpassed it (IMO) in the late 80s. In around 1990 we started seeing great advancements in bullet technology. The Winchester Black Talon was an early one, but shortly later taken off the pubic market due to public misconception and controversy. It's basic design stayed as the Ranger SXT. The Speer Gold Dots came out in the mid 90s. By that time the Silvertip and Hydra-shock took a back seat

The Silvertip line in rifle calibers preceded the handgun offerings, and is still considered an effective hunting round. I'm not sure what change were made to the Silvertip handgun in later years, but I don't remember it being widely used in law enforcement after the mid 90s.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to the responses. I had no idea what the purpose would be as these were not old ammo boxes, but new.
Couldn't figure out the advantage at that price.
Thanks again for the education.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
At BDC Friday and looked at their sale table and saw some ammo that was listed at fifty two dollars and change for a box. I think it was 9mm. Salesman was walking buy and I told him the ammo is mislabeled. He said nope, silver tipped.
Maybe I'm just dense, but what good is silver tipped ammo unless you're hunting werewolves?
What's the deal?
I was a BDC today and saw the $52 9mm silver tips.

They still have several boxes for some reason. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom