Silverado prevenitive maint. ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What filbert mentioned about basically being lied to.
My son at age of 17 worked at a big name shop and his hired on job was to change oil.
He did very well and 2 weeks went by and the manager came to him and told him to start selling parts or he would be fired!

My son said I do not sell parts I was hired to change oil.
Manager said : What I mean is when you are under the car look at the suspension and brake parts and tell the customers they need ball joints of shocks or brakes.
My son said if i see any of that stuff that is bad i will for sure tell them but i have not seen any bad ones yet.

Manager: I do not care if the parts are bad or not you tell the customer they are bad that is how we stay in business.
You either start selling parts or you will be fired.

My son: NOPE I will finish this oil change and I quit.

Wifes Grandmother in Arizona took her car to the same place for many years and one day the cooling system quit blowing cold.
They told her everything was bad evaporator condenser and all lines and compressor.

WOW! self detructed i suppose.
I drove with the wife to there and brought the car and her here as she wanted to visit anyway.
It was 1 hose with a tiny hole in it.

Crooks!! And they are everywhere.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 2004 Silverado and I had my oil changed with synthetic every 5k miles. I started having troubles with mine that I couldn’t fix myself and couldn’t afford to have fixed in 2015. There were problems with sensors that required removing the intake manifold and that’s when I decided to trade it in. It had 156k on it at trade in time. There wasn’t any problems with hoses or anything else. If I could have afforded or been able to fix it myself, I would probably still have it.

Do you really need a new water pump (is it leaking or making noises) or are they just trying to jack up the price?

I've done a ton of knock sensors. A brutal task to do in a driveway. Can't tell you how many O'rielly lifetime sensors I end up pulling out of my buddies GM's. And they insist on putting them back in. It's like trying to convince a newb not to buy from Taurus, but they can't help themselves... but it keeps me in paid-for shop upgrades.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 2004 Silverado and I had my oil changed with synthetic every 5k miles. I started having troubles with mine that I couldn’t fix myself and couldn’t afford to have fixed in 2015. There were problems with sensors that required removing the intake manifold and that’s when I decided to trade it in. It had 156k on it at trade in time. There wasn’t any problems with hoses or anything else. If I could have afforded or been able to fix it myself, I would probably still have it.

Do you really need a new water pump (is it leaking or making noises) or are they just trying to jack up the price?

Anti-knock sensors? It wasn’t to bad. Did my 04 in about 3 1/2 hours. Was only getting the code on one but did them both while I was in there. Cost about $160, WAY better than the $700 I was quoted

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not trusting those full service auto places either. Have a friend whose wife insists on using a firestone shop on the south side. EVERY time she takes it in, it comes out with a new issue. We put it on the lift and find sensor connections undone and the like.
The last time she took it in they had bent the dust shield on the rear brakes where they rubbed on the rotor. They told it developed a bad bearing on both sides while they had it! We pried the covers off the rotors and viola, problem solved.
This was about the third time for this to happen. He won’t let her go there anymore...

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I had a firestone place try and rip me off on brakes once. It was only in there because they failed across the street, and that was the closest mechanic and I didn't have any friends who could help tow it at the moment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom