Simone Biles withdrawals from more events

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Biles is not a pilot. She doesn't perform in the IFR weather conditions pilots fly in. And if this is so common among gymnasts, why is she the only Olympic gymnast in the history of the Olympics to quit because of it?

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Biles is not a pilot. She doesn't perform in the IFR weather conditions pilots fly in. And if this is so common among gymnasts, why is she the only Olympic gymnast in the history of the Olympics to quit because of it?
I suppose for the same reason that not everyone gets vertigo, nor gets vertigo all the time or in all situations. People can do the same thing a hundred times but one time, for whatever reason, they get frightened to the point of having to step back, maybe even reevaluate their position. Not knowing if that decision to step back is the correct choice to make usually causes a lot of, indecision.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I suppose for the same reason that not everyone gets vertigo, nor gets vertigo all the time or in all situations. People can do the same thing a hundred times but one time, for whatever reason, they get frightened to the point of having to step back, maybe even reevaluate their position. Not knowing if that decision to step back is the correct choice to make usually causes a lot of, indecision.
I can somewhat agree with that. It just seems odd, that with all the gymnastics being performed all over the world in high schools and colleges everywhere, by literally tens of thousands of performers, you would hear more about it. And would have seen other high profile gymnastic withdrawals because of it.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can somewhat agree with that. It just seems odd, that with all the gymnastics being performed all over the world in high schools and colleges everywhere, by literally tens of thousands of performers, you would hear more about it. And would have seen other high profile gymnastic withdrawals because of it.
Yeah it does seem odd, unless because of her 'status' as the top ranking gymnast, the media focuses more on her than on anyone else. I know that when my granddaughter was in Cheer some of the kids, who had done the same flips and jumps a million times, just quit because they all of a sudden became afraid of it. I guess It can happen to anyone but the media certainly doesn't scrutinize these kids when it does.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Just doing a bit of a quick lookup, statistics show that between 5% and 10% of all general aviation accidents can be attributed to spatial disorientation, 90% of which are fatal. Both the JFK Jr., and the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash are two of the more recent infamous one's. So it is a condition that is well documented in the aviation industry. Both general and commercial.

I could find no other gymnastic athletes that withdrew from major tournaments, or were injured because of the same. I'm not saying it has not ever happened. And if someone else can find any notable cases of this among gymnasts in competition, I'll be happy to stand corrected.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outside of the olympics, when do you hear about gymnastics meets? Do you follow college gymnastics at all? There is no pro division of gymnastics in the US. So how can you imply that it doesn't happen? As a former gymnast I have seen this happen a few times, and a few times the gymnast SHOULD have been pulled but tried to compete anyway. Little hint, those last few, yeah they got injured. This is why I've stood up for Biles all this time. Her political stance means nothing to this argument. As someone who has experience this myself, I understand why she did this. Thankfully I've never had this occur before or during a meet, but I have had to sit out of practice a few days with it. Its not a very common thing, I've had it happen twice in my gymnastics career. But it is a real thing.

And you won't find any news on it because outside of the olympics gymnastics is hardly covered at all. OU has more national titles in gymnastics than football does (quite a few more) but when was the last time you heard about it?

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If it was a major problem, you would have heard about it long before Biles came down the pike. We have had many other well known and promoted Olympic gymnasts. Look at Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) in football. No one knew it even existed. When it was finally medically proven, there were major repercussions and law suits against the NFL, and even some major colleges. Millions of dollars were paid out. Many well known players died directly because of it.

Today there are high schools that have dropped their football programs directly because of it. Parents are objecting to their kids playing. One of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game, Brett Farve has said he doesn't want his son playing because of it. Even the NFL has stated it is going to cause draft issues in the future of the game, because there will be fewer players to draft from.

No one has ever quit the Olympics because of the "Twisties". Severe injuries happen in football that are not related to CTE. Just as injuries occur in gymnastics completely unrelated to "Twisties". In fact it's the first time in Olympic history it has ever been mentioned.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it was a major problem, you would have heard about it long before Biles came down the pike. Look at Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) in football. No one knew it even existed. When it was finally medically proven, there were major repercussions and law suits against the NFL. Millions of dollars were paid out. Many well known players died directly because of it.

Today there are high schools that have dropped their football programs directly because of it. Parents are objecting to their kids playing. One of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game, Brett Farve has said he doesn't want his son playing because of it. Even the NFL has stated it is going to cause draft issues in the future of the game, because there will be fewer players to draft from.

No one has ever quit the Olympics because of the "Twisties". Severe injuries happen in football that are not related to CTE. Just as injuries occur in gymnastics completely unrelated to "Twisties". In fact it's the first time in Olympic history it has ever been mentioned.

Are you trying to be this obtuse or does it come naturally? When was the last time you heard ANYTHING about gymnastics outside of olympic coverage? You are trying to equal something in a popular sport like Football (One pro-football team gets more money than all of the college gymnastics programs, the ones that are left, in the US does) vs a little covered sport like gymnastics. What part of "its not common" do you NOT understand? Every single commentator that was a gymnast talked about it. Every gymnast experiences it at least once if they stay in it for more than a few years. This is just the first time it has happened to a gymnast during the olympics. That fact does NOT equate it to being a fake thing. Not only that but Biles was showing signs of it during competition. She over/under rotated/twisted a few skills and anyone who knows a little bit about gymnastics could tell she was off.

Your ignorance of the sport has shone like a spotlight on a cloudy night. Its become abundantly clear that trying to educate you about this subject is pointless. Go try to wash the hate from your heart, it will eventually eat you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom